Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Micro-group 1: South Eastern Region (Recruiting 5 members)

Discussion in 'VIC' started by takagawa, Feb 12, 2005.

1. This is a pilot program based upon the 'Micro-group and Micro-ride' system.

I'm looking five people in the south eastern area are interested in building their cornering abilities. This would be focusing on the Mt Dandenongs, but stretching up to the eastern ride areas, such as yarra ranges to the southern dromana and arthur's seat.

This group preferably for Learners, or other riders who believe they need to build their roadcraft. The goal is to attain 'intermediate' riding ability, and then further build this to advanced if possible.

One full licenced rider, who is willing to mentor the group members is also needed.

Micro-rides are to occur at least once every two weeks, and should take on average 2 hours riding, plus 30 minutes discussion. They can be either organised in advanced, or organised on the fly (three days in advance via sms). These rides are also open to any others whom wish to participate.

Micro-group:
    Mentor Rider
    - Un-filled.
    Riders
    - Takagawa
    - Gromit
    - Lids
    - Jase

Edit: (extra details)
    if you just want to 'tag' along without committing to anything in particular, that's okay we'll post the micro-rides here before we do it so you have a chance to join in. But if do you come under this heading as a casual rider, don't join as part of the 'microgroup', leave it for others whom seriously want to improve themselves.

If you want to join the group PM me with whether you have a licence or learners, and how long you've been riding for, and what you currently think about your skills. And finally your mobile number. Once I've got the full group, I'll compile all the data together and distribute, so we can know a bit about each other.

2. how long do u have to make a message

3. Count me in! :)

[This text is only here because otherwise the forum tells me my message is too short...]

4. seemed like a good idea

5. Guys, consider doing a Superbike cornering school. You will find you will learn more about cornering in a day there then you would in 50 rides around the Dandenongs. The school is based on Keith Codes lessons. The reason you learn so much is that you are concentrating 100% on cornering, you have a very focussed set of drills to work through. You do not have trees to run into, speed cameras to avoid, other cars cutting corners onto your side of the road.

The micro group is a great idea, use it for roadcraft lessons, asking heaps of stupid questions and learn a bit about group riding. There is a heap more to cornering than following an experienced rider and you will not see it if they can't teach and explain it...
    lessons 1-5 (of about 20 which influence cornering..)
    throttle control
    entry/exit lines
    turn in speed
    how relaxed you are
    where to look

You can follow an experienced rider into a corner going slower, on exactly the same line, turn in the same time and despite your best efforts will exit 3 metres wider (on the wrong side of the white line) and going much slower than when you entered the corner. You will feel you did the best you could and blame the poor corner on your poor handing 250.

I did the course while approaching the end of my restriction period, wish I'd done it 3 months after getting my full licence.

6. I think its still a good idea to go for these micro rides.....Code says it doesn't matter what you do as long as you learn from it.....I think these rides will give people more experience ...get the general riding smoother and allow new riders to spend more "dollars" on learning new concepts at one of these courses. (that's what Code suggests anyway)

7. I'm in Boronia and would be happy to tag along on these. I work a lot of weekends though so would be more available for after work rides during the week.

I'll leave it to you to decide if I'm a mentor or a mental.

8. I'd like to check that out..

9. What we'll do is, organise a regular day and time that's seems the most convenient time to meet up for a ride. Everyone doesn't have to be there everytime, at least hopefully two people will be there.

If anyone suddenly feels like for a ride at any time, send out an sms to everyone else in the group and some of us could join you if we can.

There's no obligation to do every single micro-ride, but just the mutual agreement that we'll do it so we can help each other get better.

You can withdraw from the group at any time, at any reason, but please decide early. PM me your mobile numbers, we'll wait a couple of days for someone can be mentor, and for anyone who wants to withdraw, and then we'll organise a day to meet up.

Oh and one more thing, if you just want to 'tag' along without committing to anything in particular, that's okay we'll post the micro-rides here before we do it so you have a chance to join in. But if do you come under this heading as a casual rider, don't join as part of the 'microgroup', leave it for others whom seriously want to improve themselves.

If you want to join the group PM me with whether you have a licence or learners, and how long you've been riding for, and what you currently think about your skills. And finally your mobile number. Once I've got the full group, I'll compile all the data together and distribute, so we can know a bit about each other.