Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Michelin PR2 Noisy...I think.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by doyle, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Hi everbody

Fitted a new Michelin PR2 to the rear of my 900 Divvy last week. I now have a noisy (read whiney) rear end.

Is that normal for a new tyre, or maybe just for the PR2? I've checked everything twice, and am convinced it is not a mechanical noise. Seems much worse two up, and is very loud at 70 to 80kph.

Seems a little strange as the old tyre (Macadam) made no noise at all! (Am I glad to get rid of that Macadam!)

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. I know that my PR2 front rumbles a little on some road surfaces, but they handle so well wet or dry (and I wear plugs) that I couldn't care less.

Tis odd though. The rear pattern doesn't look like it should be noisy.

Chain tension set right after the refit?
  3. i never found em to be noisy, but imo they have a little let go and regrip point :?
  4. As I think about this, the less I think it be the tyre. Off with the wheel for another look!
  5. Yep they are noisy Kazz has a set on her 600,my advise is next time fit roadsmarts :wink:
  6. Chain isn't over tightened by any chance?
  7. Nope.....It,s a shaftie! Wheel off tonight for a look!
  8. Problem found and resolved.

Axle overtightened putting pressure on the drive coupling etc etc.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

9. Must depend on the bike. I'm on my second pair of PR2's (had a couple of sets of PR1's before and a couple of sets of Sports before that) on my VFR800 and no noise. Nor was there with any Michellin or Bridgestone tyre I've tried.