Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Michael Atkinson, asshole extraordinaire, steps down from SA AttGen position

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by grue, Mar 21, 2010.

1. (y)\\:D/

hehe brilliant news! I second the standing ovation! =D>

finally got that piece of trash out!!! :D
  2. Now we just need to get Conroy to stick his head in a bear trap.
  3. If only he'd pull out all together, then the labour party would no longer hold a clear majority.
    Still, best news I've heard today.
  4. horay! and go fark yourself you conservative douche
  5. Wooooohooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Hoo-effing-ray
  7. Fantastic.

A small victory for democracy.
  8. never heard of him.
  9. He's ALP. That's not conservative.
  10. He's near enough to ACL.

That's pretty conservative.
  11. He, as an individual, could still be conservative. I don't know enough about him to make such a classification, though.
  12. Slick described him as a conservative. In the context of the article that means as a politician. It is therefore possible to construe that he is from the Liberal party.

He may well be a conservative ALP member, he could be a religious conservative or any other version of the same.
  13. .... didn't he do the 'Blackadder' series??
  14. That was Rowan Atkinson, Hornet, Rowan. ;) (Also Mr Bean)

Michael Atkinson is the "Won't someone think of the children" S.A Attorney General (well no more I guess) and with his single veto vote he kept blocking the introduction of an R+ rating on computer games. He also claimed that he was more scared of gamers than of outlaw bikie gang members... And he's probably right. You can do all sorts of damage with a Ninetendo DS ;)

Fun Ha!
  15. also never heard of him, so whats the big deal?
  16. Despite acknowledging the fact that the average gamer in Australia is 30 he personally blocked the introduction of an R18+ rating on at least 2 occasions as well as blocking the creation of a committee to investigate removing the power from the attorney generals (because the OFLC has been clamouring for the rating for some time).
    He believes that he's doing the country a favour in this because then no "adult" games such as Rapelay could be sold here legally.
    The fact that games like Rapelay would be illegal in this country even WITH an R rating seems to escape him somehow.
    And the fact that games like the recent Aliens vs Predator SHOULD be R rated and are instead rated M15 just gets him all angry at the OFLC for "failing the kiddies".

He's also responsible for the travesty which was the anti-bikie legislation, which gave him the absolute power to nominate any organisation (be it the Finks, the local tennis club, the local knitting circle) at his discretion and then strip them of their basic human rights - starting with the right to free association.
    Despite that being thrown out by the high court, you just know our tax dollars will be spent fighting THAT shitstorm out for the next 15 years.

Very recently he introduced a law to force all websites to record the real name and address of everyone taking part in political discussion online in an attempt to squash anonymous chatter.
    That only got through because all the other politicos were asleep at the time and lasted exactly 24 hours before he rescinded it (of course as far as I'm aware, the new law is still on the books, he's simply promised not to enforce it for the moment).

A few months ago he was implicated in a land zoning snafu that netted one of his buddies some serious cash although unfortunately nothing could be proved.

What's shocking is that this man is being allowed to step down quietly like this, by all accounts he should be facing charges for criminal misuse of his position.
  17. And there was much rejoicing.

I heard from a very, very, very, very, very reliable source that Conroy is nothing to worry about. Woot on both counts.