Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Metal shine

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Kwakazx636, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Hey, I am wondering how to get a better shine on my frame. I have used metal wool pads and 'autosol' but can never seem to get that beautiful gleem that i see on some other bikes.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. rub it back with 800 grit sand paper then 1200 then steel wool soap pads then use an aluminium polish you will have to polish it a few times you can get a alumnium cutting compound that you use with a buffing pad on a disc sander then hand polish to finish off.

this is how i used to get a mirror finish on trucks bullbars and tanks when i used to detail them when i was a kid
  3. one word - autosol. Sand back the frame with 800, then 1200 grit (make sure its wet and dry/waterproof, and the paper is dipped in water regulairly) then polish with autosol.
  4. Autosol is good for weathered metal but it's far too coarse to get a real good finish. There is no one product that'll do everything - polishing requires several stages. Where you start depends on what state the metal is already in but basically to get a mirror finish you need to go through various grits of wet/dry followed by various grades of polishing compound. Any decent auto store should stock everything you need.
    Edit: Oh and if you're chasing a perfect mirror finish like that on show bikes then you'll be needing stuff like this: