Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Metal in tyre

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by red.hot, May 17, 2007.

1. Hi guys,

So I just went out to give my bike a quick check over and noticed this little (or perhaps not so little) addition lodged in my back tyre :evil:

I'm sure it is not part of the tyre because it is higher than the tyre grooves. I don't know how deep it runs, but am not keen to get a knife and pop it out for fear that it will deflate the tyre (I don't have access to car or trailer).
    What do you think is the best way to handle this? I don't seem to be losing any obvious air pressure. Should I lay off riding as much as possible until it is fixed?

It's a real shame, I've had the bike for 10 days and the front tyre was going to need replacing well before the back one. :(
    Appreciate any advice.
  2. Mate just take it to the nearest bike shop and they will pull the object out and plug it for a small fee.

You should probably do it soon though, as it is probably leaking air slowly.
  3. go to a bike shop and pull it out there and if it leakes fix it :grin: Riding with it still in there almost ensured that eventually it will work its way in then you will need a trailer :shock:
  4. Looks like a nail at an angle. I wouldn't touch it either, it is bound to leak.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. BTW, in order for my post to sound a little less naive, I probably should have mentioned that money is an issue for me at the moment and I'm trying to decide the cheapest way to go about this problem i.e. exploring DIY possibilities.

Thanks for the advice though, i may have to bite the bike shop bullet.
  6. it should only cost you about $50 to get it plugged, properly, from the inside of the tyre. Even less if they do it from the outside (so they don't have to take the tyre off).

But when it happened to me they would only do it from the inside because apparently it is safer.
  7. Im going to make a phonecall tomorrow and see what i can sus out for you. I understand that whole money problem side thing. Ill post something as sson as i find something out tomorrow.
  8. Thanks man!
  9. PM sent Red Hot, ring the man and see what he can do :wink:
  10. Hi guys,
    Tyre is fixed and bike is back on the road! :grin:
    Here's the story,
    and I have given YW a bit of a plug because I am really impressed with the way they have treated me.
    They're good guys :cool: and I'd recommend them to other riders any day.