Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Metal Gear brake pads, where are they on the pecking order??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by robsalvv, May 29, 2007.

1. General question folks - where do the metal gear brand of brake pads sit in the brake pad pecking order??

Are they up there with EBC and Ferrodo???

2. Hrrrmm google is providing very little help. Doesn't look like many people have written much on the web about them, whether that's good or bad I'm not sure.
  3. EBC 1st
    Ferodo 2nd
    Metal gear about 6th (if there is a 6th)
  4. Interesting... who are the other 3 mobs??
  5. Goodridge
    Both of these are also good brake pads.

and a few other cheapies that turned up using google and ebay.
  6. Non sintered Metal gear pads are shite, but thats comparing them to sintred versah. Thats what i found on my bike.
  7. i've been running metal gear, actually our whole stunt team does. they work quite well but do not last that long. they are cheap though. i've been through 2 sets in the rear in the last few months, but obviously we are harder on the rear brake than normal riders. the fronts are still quite meaty and my stoppies haven't been any different.

i'd recommend you try them once. keep an eye on how they wear. but they are so cheap and easy to change that it's hardly a biggie.
  8. 7.5 year thread resurrection!!!

I had metalgear organics when I got my bike.. they were fairly shite with little friction.

swapped to Ferodo Sintergrip ST, and they flogged out way quicker than I expected (wasn't new disc), but acceptable friction and bite.

now got Metalgear disc (looks ok, cooling holes are lined up.. see if it cracks/warps), and metalgear Sintered pads.

the copper flecks in the pads are not evenly distributed.. much more densely populating the ends of one pad, and along the bottom and one side of other pad...
    will they be shit and make the disc wear unevenly? I hope not..
  9. Once you've used the pads, the metal may look like it's unevenly distributed, due to discolouration which occurs as a result of the pad material heating up, including the soft metal. Analogous to the bluing which occurs to some exhaust headers. Brake pads get very hot in use.

I've had good luck with Metal Gear sintered metal brake pads. Can't fault them.
  10. these are unused (as received), but I'll scuff them slightly before going in, see if it looks different.

if they work and discs wear evenly, doesn't matter what they look like, just concerned they are bodgily made :D (thanks for the vote of confidence)
  11. For what's it's worth on an old thread, I use MG Kevlar pads and am happy with them. Cheap, easy to get locally, last well and easy on the original 80,000km-old Honda discs, with good stopping power for what is a heavy-ish bike.
  12. There shouldn't be a need to scuff them. I'd be concerned about leaving abrasive particles in the pad material which might not do your disks much good.

Sintered metal brake pads can feel a little "wooden" compared to organic pads, but provide better performance over a wider range of conditions and long life.

Many companies produce a range of pads, including "semi sintered" which are said to provide a bit more of the feel of an organic pad, but with better life, so if you don't like the feel of sintered, semi-sintered may be a way to go.