Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mesh Riding Clothing

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by heavyw8, Mar 24, 2005.

1. hi all.

seen some decent mesh gear advertised on the net for sale and was wondering what your opinions were regarding the safety?

:)

2. Not as safe as leather or full cordura, but most of the mesh decent stuff will have cordura and armour on the outside of the body (the bits that hit the road), and the mesh on the inside (eg inside of arms and under armpits etc). Unless you went into a full superman dive, you wouldn't really be likely to scrap the skin off your underarms (...stories anyone?). Definitely a lifesaver on stinkin hot days, make sure it comes with a removable liner for all day rides when it can get nippy early or late at night.

3. Ask for min. 500 denier nylon, and 1000 on the stress points.

Couple disadvantages: if it doesn't fit well it will ride up when you come off and the padding or coverage doesn't sit where it ought to. And over time the foam padding degrades and will burn you if you slide down the road on it.

I use one when I have to, but it's leathers when I'm riding full on.

And of course it's not 'if' you come off, it's when and how.