Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Merc Gullwings are BACK baby!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Morbo28, Aug 29, 2008.

1. http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=56567

oh and PS "will go on sale in 2010 – with the goal of matching the world's fastest production car, the Bugatti Veyron."

but rumoured to 'only' have 427kw compared with the Veyron's 736kw (jeeeeezus that's a lot...1000hp in the old money). Dunno they're trying to match the Veyron's 2.5 second 0-100 time or just the top speed (320kph limited)
    Edit : "The AMG SLC won’t get close to the Veyron’s 407km/h top speed – expect an electronically limited 320km/h – but is instead setting a goal of matching the 736kW 8.0-litre Bugatti’s accelerative performance."
  2. man id love to have one of those old 300sl's sitting in my driveway right now
  3. can't see too many of it's lines while it's hidden under it's pre-release disguise

sounds hott though

presumably they heard about BMWs re-release of the M1
    no chance i'll ever be able to afford either one legally, but i do love me some eye-candy
  4. Goes on sale in 2010 for $650k, great, just put aside $325k a year and I've got one!
  5. It's not a merc, but its in my driveway.

6. I have often wondered what i could maybe afford to buy if I saved all the money that I spend on Haircuts, now I know! :p :LOL:
  7. A gullwing Merc is all well and good till you try to park in a carpark...

Later gull wing designs (like the Delorean) only need about 300mm clearance to open the door. The 300SL needed a lot more and it was common for owners to come back to the parked car and not be able to get in with cars parked either side. :LOL:

And vladpp - that's a scissors door - not a gullwing. Gullwings are hinged at the roof and open along the axis of the car.
  8. I was gunna let that one slip. Those scissor doors would defo help with the opening clearance compared with the old Merc, anyway!
  9. Be interesting to see if it gets past ADR's with those doors, I seem to recall a safety issue with gullwing doors (entrapment in a rollover) being an ADR problem for some other car.

Hell, it's be interesting if it even gets EU approval.........

Regards, Andrew.
  10. ah haha! Nice :LOL:
  11. Christ! That's the ugliest girl I've ever seen.
  12. Ha ha ha ha, you beat me to it!!!
  13. Checked wikipedia, turns out their butterfly doors. And they are hinged at the front part of the roof.