Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mentors/Tutors to help newer riders

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by raven, Apr 4, 2006.

1. #1 raven, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2016
    If you are new to riding or relatively inexperienced, and feel that some guidance would be helpful, then please feel free to contact one of the following members who can act as your mentor.

Please make sure you have practiced the basic clutch, brake and throttle control functions. Even if you are not confident enough to get on to the road then practice start and stops in your driveway or quiet area.

NOTE: This thread is not for general chat please use it to make contact with a Mentor and then take any further discussion to Private Conversation. If your status is as a "Newcomer" you will not be able to initiate a Conversation, you will need to ask your Mentor to open the conversation to you. Once the conversation has been started you will be able to respond.

****Mentors - available for assistance to newer riders.****

• spacejazz (for one on one tuition, discussion) Greensborough, Diamond Creek, Mernda, Bundoora

• Deadman (for one on one tuition, discussion) Lilydale and Eastward.
    • Jem (for one on one tuition, discussion, Commuting assistance) - Nunawading
    • Nickers330 (for one on one tuition, discussion, and attended group rides, Intermittent Availability)
    • Petesul (for one on one tuition, discussion, and attended group rides)
    • Stever42 (for one on one tuition, discussion, and attended group rides)
    • Uncle Greg (for one on one tuition, discussion, and attended group rides)

• GreyBM (for one on one tuition, discussion, and attended group rides)
    • hawklord(for one on one tuition, discussion, and attended group rides)
    • Slow Coach (for one on one tuition, discussion, and attended group rides)
    • DonJuan (for one on one tuition, discussion, and attended group rides) Also happy to come to other areas.

South East

• streetmaster (for one on one tuition, discussion, and attended group rides)

**Inner Northside Brisbane**
    **Gold Coast**
    • Valvoline (For discussion, one on one tuition)

• CrazyCam (For discussion, one on one tuition and prep for MOST) - Beecroft.
    • Hillsy (For discussion, one on one tuition) - Northern Beaches but will travel.
    • Womble (For discussion, one on one tuition) - North of the Bridge
    • Hornet (For discussion, one on one tuition and/or group rides)
    **South Australia**
    • Eric (For Discussion and ride buddy)
    • Gizzo (For Discussion and ride buddy)

• Murph289 (For Discussion and ride buddy)
    **Northern Territory**

• loubre (For Discussion, Mentoring and ride buddy)
    Edited bt CJVFR Tuesday 4th September 2016
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. as I said in the "other" thread......

I think this is a terrific idea.

My stepdad taught my Mum to ride some 20 odd years ago and he was her buddy/mentor(he used to race back in the 70's), she learnt heaps..but she doesnt ride anylonger cos a bloody cager nearly killed her..and that was that.

But...still didn't deter me from getting my L's.

One night last week over dinner we were discussing techniques and stuff and I happened to mention how in W.A. if your a learner you can only ride if accompanied by another rider...I told him how I thought it was silly...mum sorta agreed...then he reminded her of all the things he taught her,,,and how most of my questions of late have been about similar issues.So now Im of the opinion that although I am happy to be able to go out riding alone...I think that its not such a stupid idea to have another rider with you while you learn...cos no amount of roadcraft books or DVD's are ever going to be as helpful to me as having someone with me to advise and correct me when needed.
    I have only been riding for 3 months and although I am confident in most situations...I know Im by no means perfect...I have alot of questions and when I get home after riding..i just cant seem to explain them all to my stepdad...he needs to be there to see for himself what Im talking about.
    So Id be ever so grateful if someone from netrider that was experienced like my stepdad would take me under their wing and give me advice from time to time.
    thats my 2cents worth.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I am happy to perform this role on any ride that I attend. Work and family committments mean that my time is rather limited, and in fact my ride attendance is generally a fairly impromptu arrangement, but if there's a NetRider ride on, and I've responded in that thread that I will be attending it, then feel free to PM me if you're a learner and I will be happy to act as a mentor/tutor for you on the day.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. On MRA group riders, new riders and or inexperianced riders, are given a buddy.
    The buddy sticks to them like glue for the day.
    The buddy can offer advice, help and tips.
    The new rider also has a face for the day they recognise.
    Someone to ask questions to.
    MANY wont ask in a group situation what they are doing wrong OR the fact they have a few troubles or issues.

Buddy's are great. Aslong as the buddy knows what there role is for the day! No nicking off and leaving them, no being a wanker etc.
  5. The 'buddy' system is alive & well within NetRider already - altho on a more personal/casual basis :) so yes, I think its a great idea for the organised rides as long as you have enough willing volunteers to take the role. And those attending want to be buddied.

But guidelines as to whom needs a buddy? Just L or P platers? I still see myself as fairly new to riding & often ask for advice/feed back from the more experienced riders I travel with.

Too formulised rides may be detracting to some, so keeping it friendly & simple would probably be appreciated.
  6. Yes, I agree...it needs to be simple, and not too rigid.
  7. I think the mentoring thing is a great idea.I'd be very appreciative of someone mentoring me with, not only riding techniques and roadcraft advise, but also with regards to maintenance, equipment, little adjustments to the bike and riding gear, etc, that people have picked up thru the years of riding. Why reinvent the wheel? In time I'd be more than happy to pass on that knowledge/wisdom gained to newer riders.

Cheers All....
  8. Why not put a list in the first post of this thread of who's volunteered to do this buddy system thing?

I'd be happier taking people out 1 on 1 than trying to buddy up as part of a group ride, just for the record. That way there's even less pace pressure and distractions, and we're free to stop for a chat at any time without holding up a group.

Plus I won't have to get up so f*cking early in the morning :)

But put me down either way. Oh, and I'm near the Melbourne CBD.
  9. Hi Loz. :)
    There is no list at present, mate.
    Gliche and Cathar both raised the matter, I picked up on it, and brought it here to see if there was any interest.

Cathar has volunteered to assist any riders on rides that he may attend, and your goodself, and then me, so far.
    I agree with you that the one on one system of coaching would be the preferable method, for the good reasons you mentioned. It allows the kind of flexibility that is needed.

I have already been contacted by a rider and am looking to get together for a ride this coming week-end.
  10. Oh, and another thing - roadcraft aside and focusing on bike control, I've got a few carpark exercises together and I'm happy to run a nighttime carpark session working on slow speed stuff.

Vic Market carpark's great for this stuff. Lets you explore your bike's handling and helps iron out some bad habits.
  11. great idea - the 'personal coach' of the motorcycling world :grin:

when i first got my bike i made friends with a group of riders who were seriously fast. made me less confident rather than more whenever i rode with them and i just craved someone who'd take me out and gently give me some feedback and tips. didn't know about netrider or MRA then and so just kinda plodded along and tried to figure stuff out for myself. still do really, but have more people willing to give advice now :LOL:

agreed. i've been riding for 3 years but only on weekends in summer, so totalled maybe 15,000k. not much for 3 years. so still very open to any and all help i can get.
  12. that is a really fantastic idea...if only i had my L's allready.
  13. I agree that we should not make this too formal.
    I think the simplest way is for new riders seeking a bit of advice to post up a request, like "Hi, I'm thinking about doing a half-day ride to XXXX on Sunday. Would any of you experienced riders care to tag along as mentor?"
    Then ONE (or at most two) mentor would volunteer. This should NOT become a group thing, however. Keep the numbers down to a group of about four.

Easily arranged on a casual basis. Could also be done by PM once you know people. Courtesy would suggest you take the first practical offer, and mentors should not make competitive offers.

The group ride "buddy" thing is fine for bigger groups, too.

14. The idea is mainly aimed at newer riders with limited experience (probably "L"'s or "P"'s mainly), but I see no reason why anyone can't request assistance. There may be a group of fully licenced but less experienced riders that might find it helpful. There is always something to learn, I reckon.
    Shoot me a PM if I can be of any help to you, Black Betty..
  15. When I was learning I had a buddy, he was my brother, we went on all sorts of trips and he was very patient (80kph :shock: for him on his Bandit 1200s must have been hard). But the most valuable sessions we had was once we got off the bike and talked about the trip, and he gave me so much useful advice.

I didn't have to do any pre-rider training or anything like that because of where I lived was miles from everywhere, but in saying that I was the only person that I went through the P's Test with that didn't get a bad mark against my name and passed, one other person passed, but only just, and my instructor actually commented about it. :p But this was due to the mentoring/instructions/feedback I had recieved from a constant riding buddy.

Without such advice I would be half as aware as I am and may have even become a statistic. So I'll vouch for this idea, as I learnt piles of good stuff from him. But as far as introducing it like WA where you must have a buddy to ride, it kinda makes it hard to get out on the road if you don't know anyone that has a licence or the time to ride with you

My $0.02.
  16. ill love for someone to help me riding lol , more confident in riding on raods and such , the instructors teach you the basics to ride but not really with traffic
  17. Another good point Loz...Carparking it can be invaluable for gaining bike control...Thanks for offering that up as an option. I personally spent alot of time in carparks doing slow/slow manouvering when I was first starting out, and then with each new bike I got.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Talk to Girls Ride Out.

They've been doing the buddy system up in Sydney for a while now. They might be able to point out some lessons learnt in how to run it.

Basically every so often on a saturday they do a rider buddy system. Where learner riders get paired up with a more experienced rider to get some free pointers and lessons.
  19. I'd like to point out by way of clarification that the "slow manouvering" carpark exercises I'm talking about are vastly different from the slow manouvers generally performed in carparks by mummies and daddies who love each other very much.