Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

memorising road risks

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jphanna, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Something that i have found i am doing since i started riding in the last 2 years.

i have my regular commuting suburban roads and my favourite weekend country loops that i am doing. i am finding that i am noting pot holes, bitumen changes, dodgy road works....etc things that you wouldnt think twice about in a car.

keeping under 60kph in suburbs is real struggle on bike as motor is just ticking over at 60kph, so speed camera locations is added to my list as well.

is this what everyboy else does?
  2. hell yeah.
    but not just road conditions. all hidden dangers that could suprise you, or allready have.
    clearways that cars can shoot out of between stopped traffic.
    blind corners and blind spots due to stupid sign heights on corners etc.
    intersecting roads after cresting a rise.
    factor in to your strategy the point of view from drivers along your route.

and also keep it interesting. pick something different to work on, practice.
    finding the best cambers on shitty roads can be fun too. amazing how fast the right camber can make you. wait, i did'nt say that.
  3. On the roads I frequently ride yes, but be careful you don't get lulled into a false sense of security, it's better to be watchful all the time!

I find I often keep a running commentary in my head, "surface change, bus pulling out, off camber corner, car pulling, corner closing, corner opening" that type of stuff, I don't know why I started doing it, and it's almost unconcious, it just happens.

It kicks in when my brain is in about 3rd gear, and I know I'm in mental 6th gear when the commentary stops and my riding starts becoming instinctive set-up and reaction to the road and hazards without the internal coach.

4. where are the short cuts. schools , golf courses. which intersections don't have cameras so i can use the footpath to turn left.

no wait, i did'nt say that stuff either.
  5. lights sequence can also be worth remembering if you are filtering.
  6. I kind of do the same thing too..less of a commentary and more observation though..but I also have the additions of "what's that idiot doing? FMD some people are HOPELESS!" ... etc

I remember seeing one of the gopro vids of driver pulling out in front of the rider on this forum, I laughed my head off as I watched because I thought the exact same thing that the guy actually said in the video..
  7. Yep, I do that all the time! Great minds and all that....

8. Ermm yes. But remember to mix up your riding on some unknown roads.
  9. What the other people said, all good; knowing from a mental map what USUALLY comes next is one of the marks of a good rider or driver. The great racers were and are distinguished by their ability to learn a track and go quickly quickly, if you get what I mean. However, always be prepared for variation and know how to respond.

I should add that as you get older this skill doesn't go away, but becomes more conscious...
  10. [​IMG] with everything said so far.

Personally, I've become familiar with traffic lights. They operate differently depending on the time of day interestingly enough. I also notice things that don't belong now, like a water or oil patch, missing reflector squares, skid marks, new pot hole.. Hell.. if I were to use the roads as a track, they'd become new markers :grin:

But it's also important to point out, as obvious as it may be, is not to become complacent just because you know the path so well. I still treat every ride with the same attention as i did the second time I rode along it. The "markers" are now just part of the scenery.
  11. Complacency on familiar roads is certainly a risk, but the other side of the coin is that once you've got the permanent and semi-permanent features committed to your unconcious, you can direct more of your attention to concentrating on the variable stuff.

A couple of folk upthread have mentioned what amounts to commentary driving. It's a very good technique for improving your situational awareness. It's an absolutely key part of British IAM training and I believe that it's incorporated in Police driver training here but I very rarely see it mentioned otherwise in a formal training context in Australia. That may just be me but if it's not I'd regard that as a major deficiency in our driver/rider training thinking.

12. I think I first heard of the idea when I did my Heavy Rigid license a few years ago, as both a method of hazard detection and as a way to keep your brain occupied on long haul drives.

13. It was forcibly mentioned when going for the MOST test at stay upright at auburn/granville.
  14. The more you ride, The more Automatic your responses will be,

It will get to the stage of,
    Which way is that idiot going to jump to next. On the odd occasion when your not taking in the veiws,

Just some thing to keep you occupied when the ride is boring,

I have pillions that cant understand that I see the things I do when riding in the Twisties,

I say, Did you see that grouse waterfall back there or that nice creek down there,
    No, comes the reply,

I go back and take a Piccy of it, Grouse Piccy's. They still cannot believe that I can see the views as I Putt through the hills,

My bike rides by itself, I check out the views,

Its Automatic these days,
  15. When I did my defensive driving course it was certainly something that was trained, we had to do it out loud for the whole day, felt stupid for the first 10 minutes or so but then I realised it was making me concentrate more on not only what I was doing but on what everyone else was doing or might do.....

Been doing it ever since but wife convinced me to stop doing it out loud:grin:

Cheers Jeremy