Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Memories of pyromania

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smileedude, Aug 25, 2013.

1. I just read a news article about a kid throwing something on a bonfire and critically injuring a couple kids. Horrible I know but it made me reflect on my misspent youth of blowing the shit out of things. I'm 29 so fireworks became illegal in NSW when I was 2. But my folks have a lil shack near Canberra and we used to go stock up on fireworks to take down to the farm. We'd buy hundreds of dollars worth. We'd tear them apart and make mini bombs. I'd bring them to school and do displays at lunch time for my mates. Never got hurt, never got caught. I'd fill a Coke bottle with sparkler powder which would shoot sparks 5 m high and let it off on the year 7 lawns when no teachers were around.

I remember 1 time a UFO misfired and came straight at me. A spinning circle of death flying straight at you seems quite scary thinking back on it but realistically the worst that could happen would be a couple of minor burns.

One of the coolest memories was making a perfect mini mushroom cloud by scraping the phosphorus off enough match heads to fill a box. It wasn't all that big compared to other things we did but just looked awesome.

My best mate at the time was also a mad keen pyro and now he's a motorcyclist so I figure there's a link. So share your pyro stories. The times are different now but I figure the older fellas here have some better stories from when the times were even more different.
  2. Ah memories, yes we could buy fireworks at the local deli back then. From the tom thumbs in strings of a hundred or so to the awesome 3 penny bangers. The bangers fitted nicely into a 1" pipe which could then be used to propel a tombola marble through a sheet of fencing iron.
    Apart from a few minor singe marks we all survived, imagine that.
    To explosive things of a different nature, when I was a kid living in Italy we used to swim out off the beach and pickup dumped munitions from the end of the war. Everything from bullets, mortar and artillery shells. Rifles, pistols, helmets and other stuff.
    I shudder now at the things we used to do with that stuff and how we all got away with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I reckon if a kid got found with tom thumbs now DOCs would get a call.
  4. Tuppenny bungers and the neighbours' letter boxes, what a wonderful mixture.
    And the next ones up from Tom Thumbs were called Po Has, remember?

The Cotton-Wool society.....
  5. It scares me that today there are people who have never held a tom thumb in their hand and let it explode. It should be a mandatory initiation into older life.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeah and the dare trick, how big a cracker could you set off holding it between your fingers. Bugger when they fizzed out the bottom instead of exploding, that hurt
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I remember finding a full can of engine starter one day. Being of a curious nature I tied a rag round it, lit it, retired to a "safe" distance and shot the can with my air rifle.

F'cken mini-Hiroshima visible over five counties and what I thought was a afe distance....erm....wasn't :D.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Good memories
    • Like Like x 1
  9. we used to do this, but we would stickem in the end of a toy gun, smaller the gun the better than hold it at arms length probably explains the hearing now
    days :) and the skyrockets in coke bottles (mini rocket launchers) hit the brother fair between the eyes one day I can still remember mum giving a blast, an hour later we were doing it again :)
  10. When I was 10, i lived in a house on a small rise, more or less above the house of my mortal enemy. Weeks leading up to bonfire night were spend stocking up on as many big bungers as could be afforded. My accomplices and i conceived a kind of mortar, basically a piece of heavy gauge pipe jammed into the ground. Shrapnel rained down upon upon mine enemy's tin roof accompanied by hoots and his old man roaring "i'll get you bloody kids!".
    Only when we upped the stakes to live rounds (a secondary bunger in a plastic bottle, propelled by the primary charge and timed to explode at the target) did the old cheese step in and put a stop to the arms race before we burnt the neighbourhood to the ground. Good times.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. *nods* sparkler grindings were apart of my youth aswell, easy to make mini ones...two coke lids filled with grindings and stickytape joining them together...hole in top and stick a small chopped off sparkler for fuse

then when out in the paddocks using the same theory with a glass coke bottle half filled with sparkler grindings....essentially turning it to a shrapnel bomb - which of course resulted in devilish giggling from my young self

then of course we had the local guy who we'd call and he'd turn up with a van full of fireworks where we got our supplies from.....then with time that graduated to buying large duffle bags packed full of them....not the one past but the year before that i absolutely rooted my ear drum for a few days as mid-new-years fireworks show me and some mates were putting on for the street i'd lit a mortar....i made the foolish mistake thinking it had gone out and was safe to relight - No.....fcuker exploded upward about 7 inchs from my face
  12. I first saw it with the Coke lids but I found these more effective [​IMG].

Even put 1 on a little cart and propelled it about a meter before it melted into nothing.
  13. I'm old enough to remember cracker night. There used to be 1 or 2 kids injured every year in NSW.

Not much in the greater scheme of enjoyment that came out of that night and the two weeks leading up to it.

When they banned crackers, that was the beginning of the end.
  14. Who said anything about memories? For some unknown reason my regular drinking spot puts candles on tables. There's been a couple times the candles haven't been removed from our table.
  15. OK - seeing as no-one else has, I'll bite...

16. My favourite pyro memory involves two teams, a bunch of rags wrapped up in chicken wire and some petrol.

You had to be bloody brave / stupid to be goalie...
  17. So after a couple drinks the challenge is to see who can turn the candle into the biggest fire without burning the pub down.
  18. Respectfully sir that's arson not pyrotechnics.
  19. Some one mentioned tuppeny bungers earlier, well they were the largest ones that would fit down the Handel bars of the regulation get away treadly. Ya dropped it in lit the wick poked it in then followed up with a marble. Instant mobile cannon. Lots a fun.
  20. Fourpenny bungers and tin ice cream containers.
    Known these days as a bomb.