Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melbourne's new super speed cameras

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by mikkey, May 22, 2009.

1. Just a heads up on a new speed camera system they are testing. It's a cylindrical pole about 2m high with 3 Perspex stripes on it (hidden cameras, one for each lane of the highway), and there's some matching sensors on the far side of the road in the gutter.

Please be aware that big brother is watching. When you see the stripes it means that there is a speed camera. The locations for these new cameras are listed below. At least one is located at the bottom of a very steep hill. Of course it is illegal for a radar or mobile speed camera to be set up in these sort of positions but it’s ok if its fixed.

Victoria Police and the Dept of Justice announce 30 non-fixed red light cameras around Melbourne will become fixed, digital and upgraded to catch speeding drivers. Locations:

• Burke Rd & Prospect Hill Rd , Camberwell VIC 3124

• Springvale Rd & Maroondah Highway Service Ln Nunawading VIC 3131

• Royal Parade & Cemetery Rd W Carlton North VIC 3054

• Canterbury Rd & Station St Box Hill South VIC 3128

• Bell St & St Georges Rd • Preston VIC 3072

• Warrigal Hwy & N Rd • Bentleigh East VIC 3166

• Albert St & Gower St • Preston VIC 3072

• Williamstown Rd & Somerville Rd • Yarraville VIC 3013

• Warrigal Hwy & Centre Rd • Oakleigh South VIC 3167

• Ballarat Rd & Churchill Ave • Maidstone VIC 3012

• Spencer St & Dudley St • West Melbourne VIC 3003

• Hoddle St & Johnston St • Abbotsford VIC 3067

• Punt Rd & High St • Windsor VIC 3181

• Dandenong Rd & Clayton Rd • Oakleigh East VIC 3168

• Springvale Rd & Cheltenham Rd • Keysborough VIC 3173

• Mt Alexander Rd & Maribyrnong Rd • Ascot Vale VIC 3032

• Foster St & McCrae St • Dandenong VIC 3175

• Geelong Road & Droop Street • Footscray

• Sydney Rd & Harding St • Coburg VIC 3058

• Millers Rd & Blackshaws Rd • Altona North VIC 3025

• Geelong Rd & Geelong St • Kingsville VIC 3012

• Fitzroy St & Princes St • St Kilda VIC 3182

• Doncaster Rd & Wetherby Rd • Doncaster VIC 3109

• Barkly St & Carlisle St • St Kilda VIC 3182

• Warrigal Hwy & Batesford Rd • Chadstone VIC 3145

• Warrigal Hwy & Centre Dandenong Rd • Cheltenham VIC 3192

• Barkers Rd & Denmark St • Hawthorn VIC 3122

• Nicholson St & Elgin St • Fitzroy VIC 3053

• Smithfield Rd & Epsom Rd • Kensington VIC 3031

2. Thanks for the heads-up!

3. Holy FCUK! Is there any road/intersection that isn't guarded by a greed camera in Melbourne now??? I don't think I want to come home. There's no fun to be had in Vic anymore :(

4. Wow! Seeing that they are all at intersections, I slow for intersections anyway.

I could see some irresponsible people taking to them with some paint lol

5. ...and they complain when we go burning around the back streets...

What I find annoying about these particular cameras is that as soon as I see one, I'm watching my speedo and paying complete attention to the timing of the amber light as I go through the intersection - rather thn watching out for the real dangers.

But I guess that's the kind of drivers they're hoping to train.

6. ALL the intersections listed that I know personally, have had a camera there for several years. Probably just upgrading to the newer hi resolution ones.

7. I believe this is a hoax email.

That info the OP has posted I have received in an email going around saying they have the new super camera's that look like poles with black stripes, or something mounted in the gutter. In fact I think someone posted those pictures here on NR.

Go back further in time a similar technology was printed in the newspapers about new kerb mounted 'speed' cameras, but they were focused on truck movements, distance-time speed measurements and what not. Not long after that article was printed (about a year ago??) I received an email detailing the same pictures from the paper saying they were the new super speed cameras.

Personally myself I believe it's a load of BS. I know a good handful of those intersections and some of them already have the 'old' (current) style speed camera mounted on them. I find it ironic the same path of data information can be presented from multiple sources in completely different lights, so it's at this point I say "mehhh" and continue hammer my two fidy... :grin:

8. Old information, and still incorrect.

Just search for the earlier thread.

9.  Top
  10. most of the camera's I am aware of in those locations are the old type(wet film), and are meant to be getting upgraded anyhoot.

Guess it's time to update the GPS, and find more back streets to and from work. It's safer than being a speedo watcher instead of a traffic watcher.

11. I don't believe that HeraldSun article relates to the description of the cameras in the OP.
    Perhaps an old story, and this new one have been mixed together somewhere along the way.

12. The local paper - Maribyrnong Leader - recently had an article about this. Red light cameras at certain intersections were being upgraded to detect speed...twas to combat those who speed up at traffic lights to avoid the red.

Anyway, I dunno about all of the locations in the original post, but the ones around Yarraville, Footscray & Kingsville etc are the same as those published in the above article I read. I only paid attention to those ones cos they're relevant to me. :p

13. Nope. 6 of those intersections have current Red Light Cameras only and will now have Greed AND RLC's. These seem to be upgrades.

14. if u believe the papers then youll believe anything..

someone go for a ride to these intersections and have a look, see if anything has changed.

15. I bet it cant count your wheels if you only have 1 on the ground.

And those things in the pictures? Leaving anything at ground level that can be messed with, will only be a problem until the first time the sun goes down.

16. I did receive the information in an email and posted it because I had heard about this new "poles" from others. So I do believe its true. This pic was in the email.

gx15iENJ.

17. That particular device was on both channel 7 and 9 last night. It is being trialled by a German company. The government have said that they have not made any plans to purchase any until they have all the results. There was an ex camera car operator on one channel saying that they won't work but he didn't come across as a bright spark.

The stories said that the pole has the cameras and speed measuring gear in it and there is a second device at gutter height that is meant to verify the data....? Dunno how it works.

VTRAffair hit the nail on the head. The first one was ripped out of the ground by a gang of young blokes who all got their photo taken by a hidden camera. The pics were shown in one article and they said that there are now more cameras pointing at the pole.

So as far as the list of new cameras go, I would think it isn't these but the standard red-light / speed cameras that are appearing everywhere.

Hope that helps.

18. Well, as I've already said, I believe the cameras in that picture, and the information in the HeraldSun article are two completely different things.

The HeraldSun may be correct, but it is talking about upgrading existing wet film red light cameras to digital red light and speed cameras.

The pictured cameras are all about measuring traffic flow. As I said earlier, just search for the earlier posts about the CEOS products. Don't just read their (marketing) web site.

19. Yeah I got that email too.

I think roderickGI your right the Herald Sun was referring to the upgrade of all intersections with Red light cameras to the digital combination cameras. I don't exactly understand the mentality of fitting all these camera's. Sure they cause people to slow down, but because of Victoria's 3kmh tolerance people have to check their speedo constantly as thats inconsistent with ADR and as Loz says your not concentrating on what you should be...... the road/traffic conditions. But the govt. will generate more revenue, and the road toll will be 2 less than the year prior so I guess everybody wins :?