Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melbourne/Vic motorcycle crash study announced 2012-2014

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by robsalvv, Feb 6, 2012.

1. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...erious-accidents/story-fn7x8me2-1226263168517

World-first study on cause of serious motorbike accidents
    Greg Thom February 06, 2012 12:00AM

MOTORBIKE riders will be part of a $1.3 million Australian study aimed at slashing the number of serious motorcycle accidents.

The ground-breaking inquiry will compare the experiences of riders travelling through accident black spots where other bikers have come to grief.

More than 1100 riders - half of whom have survived crashes - will be recruited over the next 18 months.

The announcement came as a 27-year-old Thomastown man became the latest motorcyclist to die on the state's roads when his bike and a ute collided in Lalor on Saturday.

The research is being funded by the State Government and headed by the Monash University Accident Research Centre.

It is also being backed by VicRoads, Victoria Police, the TAC and the VACC.

Experts will analyse factors such as speed, experience and the physical environment in accidents.

The investigation comes as statistics reveal motorcyclists are among the most vulnerable road users, making up 14 per cent of fatalities and injuries, despite comprising less than 1 per cent of travel.

Transport Minister Terry Mulder described the new research as one of the most comprehensive motorbike studies attempted globally.

"By comparing the two groups, we hope to learn not only what went wrong for those involved in crashes, but also what went right for those who negotiated a particular crash site safely," Mr Mulder said.

Riders injured in crashes and subsequently admitted to hospitals across Melbourne will be directly approached to take part.

Senior MUARC research fellow Dr Lesley Day said there were many factors to consider when trying to understand the cause of motorbike crashes.

"We will be asking riders about behaviour of other road users in general and the injured riders will be asked about the role of other parties in the crash," Dr Day said.

Variables involving speed in crashes will also be put under the microscope.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The study is a little overhyped given that there are at least two naturalistic studies on motorcycle crash causation going on in the world, but it does hold the promise of shining the spot light on the on road motorcycling experience.

A few of us on NR have had some involvement in helping fine tune the study. It's not a perfect study. It's sure to cause riders consternation when they get approached, but given that the study is focussed on crashed riders, rather than deceased crashed riders, there's a chance for some real insight to come out. Riders will get to tell their story.

On balance I think that this study is a positive thing.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. What's the bet that MUARC will ignore the things it wants to ignore, and amplify the effects of speed, speed, speed, speed and (not to forget) speed...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 robsalvv, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. That's because many are wary of these so called surveys especially if muarc is involved, also the era of persecution is high in the minds of the affected hence they will refuse to incriminate themselves.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. #5 robsalvv, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    I totally disagree with your views about MUARC in this case - although understandable given the history. The lead researcher is well aware of the perception we hold.

Anyway, the preliminary report is about the first 75 cases analysed - so my comment above was in error. My apologies. The actual population is possibly as high as 760 cases - at the moment only 190 fully comply with all study requirements.

The most reported crash type is surprise surprise, the SMIDSY.

I'll have to digest the report in my off time before making more comments.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Could well be.
    Can we find out whether the study was funded for a larger sample, or did it hit it's target at 75?

That's a reasonable participation rate IMO.

Some really interesting stuff in there. Compared to previous studies, the age of casualties has risen remarkably, and fewer crashes on curves (may be attributable to redefinition though).
    And this:
  7. It's got another year to go.

Later on in the report it talks of having upwards of 760 possible cases.

I'm looking forward to the results. There are a number of riders on the research team which means when the final reports are done and peer reviewed, we might just have to accept the outcomes whatever they are.
  8. Why are we being asked to pay MUARC a proven anti motorcycle organisation to conduct a survey on motorcycling? This is absolutely woeful and the money should be returned to the community.

There is nothing new that can come from this survey. Just because MUARC is struggling for funds doesn't give anyone the right to mismanage our money.

The state is going to the wall and the dickheads we have entrusted to manage the affairs of this state have no fcuking idea what is going on.

Every dollar they waste on this industry costs the state dearly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Is there a link that isn't HUN. My phone doesn't accept their shit.
  10. The Monash University Centre for we'll say what ever you pay us to.

I wouldn't trust them to come up with a study on whether my neighbours cat was a cat - unless they could recommend a speed camera to confirm it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Firstly, you have NFI what you're talking about. Quite a deal could come from this study as you'd know if you had at least read the abstract.

Secondly, funding for this study came from a collection of sources which I think was: ARC, DOJ, TAC and the safety levy.

It's a 2012 announcement - but you don't need the link, the article text is in the OP.
  12. They have form, but the lead researcher is from outside of MUARC, from Monash University proper and the study will be peer reviewed.

The MUARC cash for comment that we're all familiar with will most likely be absent.
  13. So you really believe that anything that may come from this study will not impact motorcyclists in any way?

Do you really believe you will learn anything worthwhile that you don't already know?

Is it you that has NFI about what's going on here.
  14. Yeh, I don't think so.

First of all, motorcycling is being impacted by the intuitive ideas held by safetycrats right now. These ideas informs their interpretation of broad untargetted unscientifically collected road crash stats.

This is happening right now.

So yes, I fully expect a case controlled crash study to eventualy influence policy, and possibly significantly - but I suspect that it will blow many intuitive conclusions and myths out of the water, perhaps on both sides of the coin.

Safetycrats can't argue their dark ages views of riding if the latest research shows them to be out of date.

So yes, we will learn a buttload. It will impact motorcycling. My eyes are wide open.

The one caveat is that evidenced based policy is a case of "beware what you wish for", but if it shows speed is not an issue and filtering is not an issue, isn't that something you'd want to club over the heads of the authorities?

My views of MUARC as as jaundiced as yours, but either my words in the OP mean something or you're ignoring them for the sake of your own Cog Dis and bias.
  15. Why do they bother wasting millions on this? It's already been established in the EU that cars the cause of a high majority of accidents? Why can't that just be applied here when the same thing happens.
  16. If you read the article Rob has linked to it explains why you can't just extrapolate form overseas studies.
    Thanks Rob for drawing our attention to the results so far and for caring about this sort of stuff.
  17. It will only influence policy if it supports their agenda. We already know this.

This is all about money and nothing else. The study is just an excuse to funnel money out to their mates.

There are far too many snouts in the trough at our expense and this behaviour must be brought to a halt.

The study and waste of community money must be stopped immediately.
  18. In actuality the study is no such thing. With ARC approval and peer review, this is a legit attempt to understand what's what.
  19. #19 blackadder, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    I dunno why I have this buried in my hard drive somewhere. Remember this guy? He was hilarious.

20. I may be one of those 75 injured riders, the report doesn't seem to indicate a cut-off date but I was interviewed in early June as a result of hospitalisation. Coincidently I recently rode past one of the sites they were monitoring due to another riders mishap. So looks like I am also going to show up in the control group stats as well.

Most of the questions were fairly predictable. However one question seemed quite strange. They wanted to know if I owned a gun....not sure why that would be relevant. Chances are if I did own a gun I wouldn't be telling them anyway.:)
    • Like Like x 1