Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melbourne Toll Gantries

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by Rokster, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Hi there all,

I'm after the GPS coordinates for the Melbourne Toll gantries ( and Sydney's for that matter ).

If anyone has a clue where these can be found.. please drop me a note ?

Thanks !
    Rokster

... and no, I'm not planning anything sinister... it's for a proof of concept for a client !

2. Damn, I was hoping you had access to a battery of scud missiles.

3. There still no plans to ping bikers with fares on citylink is there? Part of the reason I'm getting into this caper is for commuting and I dont want to pay tolls!

4. You are getting a bike to save money?

Bwahahahaha!

5. I hate to burst your bubble Iondah,
    but they do plan on making bikes pay tolls in the near future.
    Rear facing toll cameras have been installed on the citylink and are "apparently" in the testing phase at the moment. :(

6. There's a few whispers the testing is not going too well... :)

7. They put tolls on we will just use the rat races, this will increase fatalities and injuries.

once again the government puts private interests above people!

8. Give them time,
    I'm sure if it means more money for citylink
    they will iron out all the wrinkles and then we are stuffed :(

9. I'd be happy to pay a toll on citylink....if they put in dedicated "motorcycle only" lanes.

10. they do they are just not marked, anyone joining me on the splitting exodus out of the city tonight? :grin:

11. Next time I'm riding/driving on citylink I could mark the gantries with my GPS and send you my coords, but I don't use it all that often so may be a while. Also may not be accurate enough, depending on what you want it for.

12. Have you tried finding them using GoogleEarth? If its clear enough to see that our car was parked in the driveway when the satelite took its snap - you should be able to locate all the toll gates!!!!

13. Yep it works!!

To start you off: The tollgates on the Bolte Bridge:

heading northbound: 37˚ 54' 56.94"S 144˚ 55' 59.63"S
    heading southbound: 37˚ 48' 55.61"S 144˚ 55' 00.74"S

14. Google Earth. I'm starting to wonder if they've bought the planet. If they did, how much did they pay? And who sold it to them?

15. Doesn't george Bush own the planet? I was talkin' to some seppo's the other day and.................well, that the impression I got. :( :p

16. Bugger if they bring in Tolls for bikes.

I just love going through the tunnel flipping the bird at the cameras :LOL: :LOL:

How much money are they spending on these reverse cameras for how many bikes.....?

Jen

17. The EastLink Tollway is not going to use any form of electronic tag to toll users but intends to use the same rego plate recognition software we are starting to see in servo's.

CityLink has stated publicly, and a bike toll has been on the books since day 1 but not applied, it WILL eventually apply tolls to bikes as well.

Eliminating tags is not a bad thing but I'm wondering how they are going to handle interstate vehicles not registered on their system as we can drive in Sydney and our tags work there what happens to Sydneysiders driving around here??

18. There is no logic in them using rear facing cameras to catch a few bikes.

For every dollar they gain they will lose income from trucks, guys towing boats, etc etc with obscured rego plates. With few exceptions they can only book a visible vehicle registration and not a trailer plate.

:)

19. its not that hard to flip the rego round to block the plate

20. if u tuck the plate up under the seat, it is visible to cop cars, but invisible to toll cameras.

Could also cosider something like a soft tailbag - that just happens to SAG low enough to make the plate indistinct