Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melbourne to Sydney - any thoughts/ideas?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by I Adore Vic, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Hi all,

I'm thinking that I'd really like to ride up to Sydney over the Christmas holidays. The girls are going to their Dads for two weeks, which gives me plenty of time to take my time and enjoy the trip up/back. The idea of a nice long, go at my own pace kind of trip appeals. The idea of dropping in and visiting a few NSW netriders along the way appeals as well. :)

It's just a thought at the moment - so I've done very little (re: nil) research into this trip....apart from some discussion with Tex.

Firstly, what/if anything, needs to be done to ensure I can ride legally on NSW roads?

Secondly, I'll be following the coast up for most of the way. Does anyone have any recommendations on possible routes? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

Thirdly, seeing as it's going to be over the Christmas holidays, what are my chances on finding a spare campsite in a caravan park? I'll be taking it cruisey on the way there/back...stopping off here and there to set up the tent and veg..sight see..sleep..drink..cool off in the ocean etc. :) and I'm loathe to have a set itinerary, but if I need to prebook tent sites now (providing there are still sites available), then it looks like I will need to sit down and work some kind of itinerary out.

And lastly, what else do I need to consider if I decide to do this trip? It's hard to know what to plan, when you don't know what to plan. :)

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Rosie

2. Hi Rosey,

In relation to your first question, you may or may not be aware that in terms of speeding, during public holidays, you could receive double demerit point penalties under NSW legislation. Fixed speed cameras are well marked in NSW: "24 hour speed camera in this area".
    You may need to consider, how far you have ever ridden in one day and then how far have you estimate you can ride in one day. This will help you to work out which destination you should aim for. How far your bike will travel on one tank. If and whether you would like to ride at night time in the bush. How you'll carry your luggage on your bike.

There's food for thought.

G

3. There is a few caravan parks around the city like, botany bay ,narrabeen ,lane cove ,their all about 30 minutes from the city.
    Google will help you out with the maps and phone numbers ect.

Let us know when your going to be in Sydney ,I'm sure the Sydney crew can meet up for a ride or dinner, if we arn't away our selves over the holiday.

4. Firstly, what/if anything, needs to be done to ensure I can ride legally on NSW roads?

G is right about speed cameras; there are three just between Kiama and Nowra alone, (around 35kms!!) There is always three warning signs before them, so slow down for them and then speed up again, everyone does!

There is a vigorous enforcement of speed limits between the Victorian border and Eden as well; it's fast open road and there are a couple of picnic areas which the police use as convenient spots to set up mobile rader and pull people over...

Also points for offences are now portable; if you get booked in NSW those points will impact your Victorian license.

Secondly, I'll be following the coast up for most of the way. Does anyone have any recommendations on possible routes? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Given the distance, and your bike, G's comment about distances travelled are also very relevant. I'd stick to the Princes Highway right through to Sydney; when you have a big powerful sports bike (next year??) then you can think about exploring some of the great backroads round Bombala and places. Also don't attempt to travel too far on the first day; if you tire youself out on day one, the other days become a real pain.

Thirdly, seeing as it's going to be over the Christmas holidays, what are my chances on finding a spare campsite in a caravan park? I'll be taking it cruisey on the way there/back...stopping off here and there to set up the tent and veg..sight see..sleep..drink..cool off in the ocean etc. and I'm loathe to have a set itinerary, but if I need to prebook tent sites now (providing there are still sites available), then it looks like I will need to sit down and work some kind of itinerary out.

Most anywhere on the South Coast of NSW will be booked out solid over that break, and many will be booked out already, a month ahead of the break. The major towns, like Eden, Merimbula, Bateman's Bay and Ulladulla are playgrounds for Victorian and Canberra families, and many places are booked from year to year.

You should decide NOW where you would LIKE to stay, and make some bookings.

In Sydney or surroundings, you shouldn't have to pay to stay anywhere; that's what Netrider is for. You're welcome to stay as long as you like at my place; I'm only about an hour from Sydney, but you won't have to brawl your way through Sydney traffic to get anywhere.....

5. One place in Victoria that is worth considering staying on your way is Mallacouta. (Although it is a fair hike from Melbourne.) It's off Highway 1 around Genoa. You get there via an excellent twisty road. :)

6. Thanks guys. Lots of food for thought. :)

I'm not worried about speed cameras as I wont be speeding. :) This is a cruisey ride. :) I was more thinking about licences etc. Am I allowed to ride in NSW on a Vic learners permit?

Well after reading these replies and other threads on Melb. to Sydney trips, and taking into consideration the lack of accom. that's going to be available on the trip up and the traffic for that time of year, I've had a look at the map and decided I might go an inland route. Tex suggested turning off at Cann River??? and heading up to Bombala? (Basically bypassing Eden). If I can't do the coast/beach I'll do the national park thing. I might have a better chance of finding a spare site to set the tent up as well (booking once i work out itinerary of course).

Hornet600 - Why do you say avoid the backroads/Bombala route? Can you give me an idea on what the conditions of these roads are like? At that time of yr? Is it because you don't think the Virago/I could handle those roads? Is the traffic going to be chockas? Are there idiot road users about? I'd love to hear more as to why. Also, thanks for the offer of a bed. Might take you up on that. Will see once I figure out where the hell I'm going. :) :)

If I do go the Bombala way, where could I go from there? It is a bit of an adventure for me so I am open to a bit of a challenge. :) Just makes that beer/bundy at the end of the day more enjoyable.

G, the bike does 200 on a tank...and then there's the reserve which I think is about 40km?

I wont be riding at night.

Luggage...will most probably get a tank bag for stuff such as first aid kit, tools, torch, snacks, drinks whatever else I need etc. I have saddlebags for clothes (I pack light) :) I'll be carrying a tent and little self inflating mattress and will get one of those little little sleeping bags someone was talking about. All this will most likely go on the pillion seat.

The more I write about this, the crazier it seems... but it's my kind of thing and I'm doing it. :)

Sleddog, thanks. I'll have a look at what's available. Will certainly let you all know dates etc... :)

7. I should add that I've done almost 4500km on the bike in 5 and a half weeks, and I plan to do a hell of a lot more riding between now and when I leave. I also plan to do some practice rides on more challenging roads with the bike loaded up - trying out riding on unsealed roads, unsealed twisty roads, mountain roads, doing some more riding in traffic etc etc.

I'm also becoming aware of my bikes limitations... :)

And I can always do part coastal, part inland.

Rosie

8. Rosie, I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with the Bombala roads or area, just that you might like to stick to the main route since you are travelling a long distance, detours make it longer.... If you're confident and happy to go wherever you want to and the RIDE is more important than the destination, then by all means, go the road less travelled :)

9. As you head in to Bombala, you can go left and across the bridge towards Cooma (rising into the Mountains) or straight ahead via Cathcart to the coast above Eden (I Believe).
    I particularly enjoy the CannRiver to Bombala (or Monaro Hwy)Road. It's one of my favourites. :grin:

10. I might be dreaming, but is there some law that requires learners to stay under 80kmh in NSW?

Otherwise, yeah go for it Rosie, a long highway ride can be a bit boring but it's certainly not impossible if you take it easy, eat drink and stop plenty.

As soon as you cross the border, be aware you can't park on footpaths any more. Stupid, I know.

11. And remember it's pronounced the Mon-air-o Highway :roll:

12. Hey Rosie, seeing the long way your ridings improved over the last month i say go for it. Mike k who was with us on the weekend (blue zzr) is looking at doing a trip to NSW over chrissy as well, PM him and see if you can go together, you might even talk Caz V1 in to going PM her as well

what exact dates are you looking at?

13. Talk me into it, :LOL: no talking required, count me in Rosie :)

14. Ok just had a thought.

I'll be having crissy dinner on the murray river at Cobram, if you (Mike, Caz, etc, etc want to join me please do), then it's Charmeds birthday on boxing day at yarawonga, from there you could follow the river to Albury and catch up with Maddog.

Oh Rosie, rays has those tents for sale again $25 i think.

15. Hey Caz...it'd be great to have you along! It'd be great to have some company. Anyone else is more than welcome too. :) I'll send Mike a pm. :) He can come on one proviso... ;) He sticks in front of me on any hairy narrow twisty bits we encounter ;) :cool: :LOL: He was like my guide dog last weekend....lol.

I'm not sure on dates yet as I'm still waiting on the ex to work out when he's going to take time off work. I've been 'hassling' him :roll: to work it out so hopefully I'll know soon.

As I said, it'll be for two weeks, so I'm cool if we take that long going up there and back, or if you need to make it shorter to get back to your own obligations, then that's cool too. I can come home and then head off in some different direction for a while. :)

Woodsy, thanks - I might just have to head in there tomorrow - on the bike of course ;) Will ring first to check they have them though - don't want to waste a trip there. Oh who am I kidding. Forget ringing them :LOL:

Thanks Loz. I'll have to check with the RTA as to what the go is for VIC Learners in NSW.

Loz said:
    Not really a worry for me anyway as I'm yet to get up the guts to park on a footpath. :) Last night at Sorrento the chef at the restaurant I was eating at asked where my bike was. I pointed to the carpark all the way across the road...and he laughed and said most just park their bikes right next to their table (outdoor eating). :)

G said:
    Thanks G. Sounds like one to keep in mind when we plan the itinerary. :) And if you like it so much, drop everything and come along. ;)

Hornet600 - cool. This one's definitely about the journey..not the destination. :)

16. Hey guys.. What a coincidence, I just spent half the day at work today trying to plan out the route for my trip :)
    I'm planning on leaving early on the 27th and going to Canberra via the Monaro Hwy (this bit will be with 3 other guys), staying in Canberra for maybe 2 nights, then heading back out on my own to the coast and up to Sydney.
    On the way back I'll be leaving on the 8/1, heading down along the coast and in to Cooma on the first day. Then probably across to Corryong, Tallangatta, then down to Hotham and along the Alpine road to Bairnsdale and back to Stratford on the second day. Then back to Melbourne on the third day, getting back on the 10/1.
    Pretty much all but the last day will be 700k+ days so I'd imagine I might doing a few more miles in a day than you're planning to do, but I'd love to meet up with you guys and ride a leg of it, or catch up for a few drinks on the way or something. Of course, if you are up for those distances i'd be more than happy to have some riding partners :)
    The only reason I'm fairly rigid in my times is because my girlfriend lives in Sydney and as much as I'd love to, I definately wouldn't be in the good books if I meander around for a week getting up there, a week going back and only spend 2 days out of my break with her ;)

17. Hey Mike,

Looks like a good route. You'll have a blast! Is this your first big trip? Sounds like it might be best to meet up with you somewhere along the way. A few drinks sounds good...will you be on the Coke again? ;) :LOL:

I've a feeling that I'll be free to set off the same day as you (I think ex is having the girls for the 2 weeks from Boxing Day) - but it all depends on what Caz is doing.

Are you doing the first leg in one day? (Mordialloc to Canberra). How far/long is it? I'll have a look at what it's like around Bombala area...map says National Park...might see whether there's any accomm. available around there..perhaps stop there the first night. Not sure really. Will see what Caz says about it. She knows more than me. :) And have that chat with Tex as well.

I'm hopeless at organising stuff - hence my hopes of just doing whatever whenever with this trip - but unfortunately I've picked the wrong time of year to allow me that luxury. To a degree anyway. :)

Rosie

18. Well it's confirmed. I've got two weeks free starting from Boxing Day.

Caz, are you available during that period? If so, have you any particular route/itinerary in mind? I wouldn't mind doing the Monaro hwy past Bombala and then turning off for the coast.

Also, Joel is in Mogo, so we could go bother him for a little while. :) If he's around that is. :)

How long would you like to stay in Sydney for?

19. :roll: double post