Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melbourne rider, starting again

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Viker, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Hi folks,

I'm a Melbourme rider, coming back to bikes after a gap of 12 years. I'm on my Ls again.

Because a friend I made while getting my Ls said I looked like a viking, I'm calling myself Viker, pleased to meet you.

My first bike was a Suzuki GS400, my second was a 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (unrestricted L-plates in the ACT in those days). My next bike, well I'm not sure yet.

Because I'm beginning again, I want a bike that's predictable, stable and confidence inspiring.

Because I'm a taller guy (190cm & 90kg), I'm looking at larger LAMS bikes in the 500-650 range.

Because they're smoother, I prefer multi-cylinder bikes.

Because a lot of my kms will be 100km/h commuting I want enough in the right hand to accelerate out of a sticky spot at highway speeds.
  2. Well, first of all, welcome to Netrider :).

To a bike, I think that despite your preference for multi-cylinder machinery (I've got a 4 myself), you'd be best served for your learning and restricted period with a Suzuki GS-500.
  3. Welcome back to riding & welcome to NR. (y)
  4. I'd have to say a GS-500 too, given your requirements. Bit of a barge but given your size it will do the trick while your do your time on restrictions.
  5. Thanks for the welcome guys, and the bike advice :)

GS500 is definitely on my radar, along with a few others.

It's damn tricky trying to predict which bike I'll learn best on and prefer after a few months of riding, but I've posted some thoughts and questions here:
  6. Hi Viker and welcome to NR
  7. Welcome to NR (y)
  8. welcome to NR theres a gs500 for sale on here, check it out. and welcome back to 2 wheels.
  9. Thanks for the welcomes everyone, much appreciated.

I shook hands on the purchase of a Kawa ER5, so my bike hunting is done, for 12 months or so :)
  10. Congrats Viker!