Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melbourne Pre-learner says Hi

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Barmah, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Hi all,
    I live in Melbourne and originally from China. I've been here for 5 years and planning to get a bike. Little experience in China about 8 years ago, absolutely newbie. However I've always feeling passionate about riding but feel too dangerous to ride in China. The traffic there is way beyond anyone's imagination. So after five years driving in Melbourne I feel like if I'm careful enough I'd survive.

Bare with my English if you are still reading:wacky:. I'm planning to go for the all star motor cycle training's one day course for non-experienced riders. Bikewise I'm thinking maybe a ninja 300.

A few questions if anyone could kindly help:
    1. Does anyone rides from Melbourne city to the south east side by M1? How long do you think you've saved by riding than driving?
    2. For parking your bike, I've seen people squeezes in ignoring the bars. I'm guessing they will not pay the fee that way. Is that legal? How about those car parks with some human handing you tickets before you get in? Can you still squeeze in? If you could, I think it is hilarious.

Thanks for your time reading! :D

2. Howdy & Welcome to NR!

3. Thanks Jaytee!

4. Welcome to Netrider Barmah!

5. Welcome to Netrider, sounds like you have training and a bike sorted. Don't forget your riding gear in your budget, jacket, boots, helmet, gloves etc.

Can't help you with your question on M1 travel times. If you are on L plates you are not permitted to filter between traffic under the new (November 2nd) filtering laws so I am not sure you will save much time.

Squeezing between parking bollards into paying car parks isn't legal but reasonably commonplace. If it is a manned car park then they will often object. In Victoria though you have the option of legal footpath parking.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome to NR...

7. Hi Cjvfr, Thanks a lot for your help!
    I didn't set budget for my safety gear but I definitely going to buy good quality ones. I'm considering leather head to toe and a full face helmet.

8. I think leather pants are a bit too much for commuting, especially in summer. Wearing all leathers might be too exhausting during summer which might lower your awareness so you need to strike a balance between being passive protection(i.e. armour) and active protection(accident prevention and evasion). So, you might be better off starting with a mesh two-piece riding suit(something like this) to keep yourself cool enough during summer. Mesh riding pants or a good pair of kevlar jeans(you might want to throw in a pair of knee guards) should be good enough if your riding is mostly within the 60kph zones.

• Like Like x 1
  9. welcome aboard :]

10. Personally I think this is great advice. I know when I was buying my first lot of gear, I bought leathers (too eager) and a complete set of lighter summer safety gear - I was so grateful for having the lighter gear, so much to concentrate on and the leather is so heavy initially. Now I mix and match - and I'm a learner (licensed July and don't ride as much as I should or want to). I have found though that the Dianese leathers feel much lighter than the Alpine Star leathers. My Alpine Star set still hangs there Brand New waiting to be broken in! ha ha ha Welcome BarmahBarmah - enjoy the ride! I love my Ninja 300 :)

11. Welcome!

I work in central Melbourne (Collins & Elizabeth) and live in Pakenham. I know I save at least 30 mins (probably more like 40) by riding rather than catching the train. Compared to driving, in the morning no time really, I leave super early (5am) so the traffic hasn't really built up. If anything I lose time because of the gearing up/down.
    In the afternoon when I leave I hit start stop traffic a lot, and days I leave late it's pretty much start stop the whole way. I'd imagine I save a lot of time there. Still lose some gearing up and down, but I must pass hundreds of cars and skip all the people that take a year to get back up to speed after stopping.

As mentioned though, this is with filtering, which isn't legal until you're off your L's (minimum 3 months after getting them).

You can do it. I'd imagine it's not legal, and if I was doing it I'd make sure I wasn't blocking a real parking spot as it would throw their numbers off. You can park on the footpath in most parts of the city though, I'd do that if you can.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Welcome aboard, I'm only a new member and relatively new rider as well. Happy riding.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hello malownermalowner - interesting avatar :) A little strangeness ... I like it! What do you ride and how long have you been riding? Another relative newbie here too :)