Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melbourne Newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Loza03, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Hey all!
    After many years of hubby's persistence (plus the new bike laws and a mothersday gift of a motorbike liscence test) I finally gave it a crack and got my L's in October 2014.
    My hubby grew up on bikes and commutes daily on his XJR 1300 and wanted me to be able to enjoy the thrill of being on two wheels and not just as a pillion.
    Being a mum of three under 10 (I'm 33) and working means I am restricted for time on the bike.
    I have a 2003 Er-5 that I love.
    Would love to be able to improve my skills and get more bike time with a group of likeminded people (& my very patient husband).

2. Welcome Loza03,

Sometimes a partner is not the best teacher for riding. Depends on personalities. With three kids I suspect your riding time together will be limited but perhaps you will be able to manage it. The way to improve is to get out and do it, there will be a lot of calls on your time I know but don't let the bike sit, even if it is 30 minutes here, an hour there, rack up those k's.

Where abouts are you based?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Welcome and enjoy the journey. Look at joining some of the organized rides, plenty on offer!
  4. In the south east. 10 min from Frankston.

Hubby is great but the time is the problem. Trying to get the kids looked after so we can go out is the difficult part.

While the kids are at school and some weekends I get out for an hour or so. But when it's nearly a week between rides you feel like you start from the very beginning again.

I really want to get km's under my belt before I go for my liscence. I want that done mid year at the latest.

Would love some help through the week during school hours if anyone is up for it.

5. Ok streetmasterstreetmaster is in your area, he is a self employed bike mechanic as well so he may be able to give you an hour here and there. He had but his hand up on the Bike Mentor thread so hopefully he has some time.
  6. Nice! Thanks again.
  7. And get hubby to mind the kids while you come to Saturday morning practice. Meet lots of people, get some unbiased riding advice, and escape for a few hours (or as long as you like).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Welcome to NR...

As above..+1 to the Saturday Learner sessions in St kilda. Take a Saturday morning off and ride down..