Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melbourne - Albury - Melbourne roads?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by ROAMER, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Hi all,

As the title says, I'll be heading to Albury on Monday to visit a basketball tournament, and be back Wednesday. Can anyone suggest some good routes because I'm not taking Hume Hwy. all the way for sure.

My planned route so far:
    Melbourne - Yea via Melba Hwy.
    Yea - Mansfield via Maroondah Hwy. (Goulburn Hwy. partly as well)
    Mansfield - Benalla via Midland Hwy.
    Benalla - Wangaratta - Hume Hwy.
    Wangaratta - Albury - don't know yet, probably some back roads or something like that

So, how does it sound???

BTW - Does anyone know if Omeo Hwy is completely sealed yet???
  2. Hi Roamer and Merry Christmas. I recently rode from Mansfield to Wangaratta via the King Valley along the C521. An excellent road with loads of twisty stuff. and good scenery
  3. what time u leaving? I go every year and generally go the back out of mansfield
  4. Have a good safe trip mate, ride safe.
  5. Have a good ride and give us a ride report when you get back, it'll help us plan a route for a trip in January. Travel safe....
  6. Melb-Black Spur- follow signs to Eildon -2km before Eildon to Jamieson (14km dirt, well worth it though), left at the end towards Mansfield-Whitfield-north up the King Valley, then to Oxley-Milawa-5km past Milawa in Markwood, turn leftish to Everton-T-junction turn Right, after 500m turn left signed to Beechworth-next T-junction turn R to Beechworth-through town direction Yackandandah/ Wodonga.

No Hume, only "boring bits" are King Valley and across through Oxley/Milawa. Watch radars along ALL the straight bits and around even the smallest towns/ settlements.

Edit: Omeo Hwy still has about 30odd km dirt.
  7. Sky, not sure what time i'll be leaving as I'm traveling alone, so no concrete plans are made.

Thanx for the route glitch, looks like I'll be taking most of your advice, time permiting.
  8. I'm leaving Berwick around 6.30am If your intrested in an early start let me know. Your planned route is pretty close too the way I was thinking. I have to at the boarder by about 11ish.
  9. I agree with Glitch about the Mansfield to Whitfield bit, wont add too much time to your trip just watch a few of the corners that tend to bite you, ask Matt232 for more details.
  10. Once you get up there - go from Wodonga to Tallangatta, Corryong and round to Walwa, following the Hume dam back to albury. Good trip around there (about 250km) and worth it if you have a few spare hours...
  11. I'm back, all good!!! Detals to follow........
  12. details yes plz, i want to make a trip myself up there soon! :)
  13. My family in Myrtleford always travel the Myrtleford, Everton through to Yackandandah/ Wodonga route, nice road.

Good luck with the trip.