Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Melbourne Airport PIN

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by enzso, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Guys a word of warning, I just got done for $170 for parking my bike on one of the vacant areas of pavement adjacent to the motorbike parking area. I've checked and the road laws inside the airport are based on national laws not Victorian, so bikes can't legally park on the footpath. The fact that the bike parking area itself is on the footpath makes this a bit confusing, and I'll be appealing the notice based on this, but be warned. There are no signs or markings advising of the change, you just get done - $170 thank you very much.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. that sucks good luck on the appeal
  3. Since the bastards charge motorbikes the same rates as cars, I park in a car bay and to heck with their crappy bike parking on the pavement.

If all motorbikes were parked in car bays that would soon send a message to the greedy ratbags. They are so focussed on profit that they have banned helicopters from the lifelong helipads near the terminals and require landing over near the tower with a charge to then provide an airport vehicle to take the passengers to the roadside drop off outside the departure terminal.

Maybe time for a bit of a campaign, parking bikes in car bays?
  4. Good luck, unfortunately won't help, but worth trying. The applicable law applying to bikes says they can use a road or area for specific motorbike parking, with appropriate signage.
  5. Yeah but what they don't do is tell riders that Vic laws don't apply.
  6. So, nothing in the regs to prohibit using a car parking bay?

Take up a car space, after all you have paid for it. Then let the Airport know why, and maybe a few letters to the papers?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Look, nothing different to anything else in the airport I'm afraid. Food (expensive, rubbish), drinks, parking: name your poison! Captive audience so they charge what they like. Pity Avalon isn't a genuine competitor at this point! Not a big fan but like many have to keep using the facilities (until I can afford a private jet lol)...

Good luck getting off the fine!
  8. #10 barry_mcki, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    The airports had always been under Federal jurisdiction (and in a way still are) until they were sold off - actually long term leased (99 years). So although the Melbourne city style off street parking may have been accepted at some time in the past, they didn't have any weight.

I'm sure someone will correct me but I believe parking is controlled by local councils, so Spring Street doesn't even have a say on this one, i.e. there is no Vic Govt law that protects the footpath parking.

But at least you're not alone, all airports that have been "sold" and are now in private hands are scraping every single penny they can get from any source, have a look at the various businesses in the airport grounds these days. Rumor has it they make more money from office rent than the planes bring in. The (private) airport authorities also do not need to pay any rates to local councils as the land is still owned by the Commonwealth so all fines also go back into the airport coffers.

Another interesting coincidence talking of airports, the Federal Cabinet put through The Airports Act in 1996. The Head of Prime Minister and Cabinet at that time is now the CEO of Sydney Airport.
  9. I was out there a few times over the last year on the bike and their bike parking was always close to full. It sucks that you got a ticket though. I'm guessing there would have been a few more pinged at the same time as there was always a few pikes parked nearby but not in between their marked spaces.
    I wonder how the workers out there on bikes fare ? or are their bikes marked in some way so that they don't get a fine ?
  10. Airports do pay council rates. One of the Hume City Council's big whinges about the creation of the Sunbury City Council is that Sunbury will get a percentage of the Melbourne Airport rates for 8 years even though the airport remains in the Hume City boundary.

An attraction for the anti Essendon Airport group is that the council would make more in rates from subsequent sub-divisions than they currently get from the airport.

The Federal land issue was one that prohibited the VicPol from attending crime scenes for many years, until a VicPol sub-station was created at the airport.

Tullamarine (Melbourne) Airport is renowned for making more money from parking fees than from aircraft landing charges.

Back to my suggestion: why don't all you regular m'bike car park users at Melbourne Airport just use a car parking bay? After all, you are paying the same rate as a car, and the bike parking area isn't always the most convenient spot. If all of you did so (I do when I go there) and took up a car parking spot, the Airport Management might get the message!
  11. :-/ Yep, looks like there is a payment but its not like the rates you and I pay, its actually called 'rates in lieu' and is to compensate the council(s) round the airport for the land lost where they could have made rates out of subdivisions, etc. In Melbourne some of the payment also goes to councils that are in the air corridore for the noise affects the airport brings with it.

However, back on subject, the parking fines still go to the Airport Authority not to the local council.
  12. #14 cjvfr, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    I'm here to clarify not correct :) Footpath parking is a State regulation.

Stopping on a path, dividing strip, nature strip, painted island or traffic island r. 197
    (1) A driver must not stop on a bicycle path, footpath, shared path or dividing strip, or a nature strip adjacent to a length of road in a built-up area, unless—

(a) the driver stops at a place on a length of road, or in an area, to which a parking control sign applies and the driver is permitted to stop at that place under these Rules; or

(b) the driver's vehicle is a motor cycle and the driver stops in a place where the motor cycle does not inconvenience, obstruct, hinder or prevent the free passage of any pedestrian or other vehicle; or

(c) the driver is using a vehicle for the purpose of the operation of a detection device prescribed for the purposes of section 66 of the Road Safety Act 1986 .

Penalty: 3 penalty units.

But it is true local councils can override this if they post signage to say Motorcycle parking is prohibited. e.g.

No stopping area for motorcycles image2_sm.

This does not apply to parking on private property or as discussed federal property such as the airport.
  13. Got off :) I wrote to the airport CEO as well and got a response from the airport car parking services manager. Won't have to pay.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. excellent news mate well done
  15. Power of the pen, excellent result for you =D

Is there anything in what the Parking Manager said worth sharing ?
  16. Silly question but if you are travelling somewhere for a couple of days do you leave your bike in the short term area and pay through the nose or park over in the long term where it's cheaper (for a car) to park ??

I can't say I've ever seen any bikes in the Long Term Car Park and I average between 10-12 trips per year.
  17. I've never left my bike there for longer than a few hours. If I were travelling I'd leave my bike at United. They have pretty good rates and it's undercover. They should also store your gear if needed.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. This bit makes me laugh!

"If you are unsure of where to park upon your arrival, please speak to a car park attendant"

They got rid of those and replaced them with machines!