Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MELB ZZ-R250 Purple 96 model, $2300 OBO

Discussion in 'Archived' at netrider.net.au started by MV, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, this is the missus bike, we bought about two years ago with 40K on it, it now has 67 XXXodd, always serviced on time, mainly used for commuting & some touring.

It has been dormant for about the last 12 months due to our first child, but has just had a major service & overhaul which included:

Brand new tyrers front & rear (Bridgestone BT45 Battlaxe)
    Brand new brake pads (sintered)
    Major service which included oil & filter, brake fluid change, cooling system flush & change, carbys cleaned & synced, air filter cleaned & reoiled, valve checked (still in spec), all cables lubed & checked, headstem bearings checked, fork oil replaced, (seals were fine). Probably more, I've jusr been chipping away at in my spare time...

Chain & sporckets have about 2K klms on them, JT sprocket front & rear & an RK X-Ring chain (I think it's RK, will comfirm)

The cam chain & tensioner was replaced about 14 months ago at the same time as a major service, since then it has only done about 5K klms, so most of this is overkill, but the point is: you will not need to spend a dollar on this machine for next 12 months!

Apart from fuel, oil & rego, of course...

Oil has always been changed every 3-6K klms, always with Castrol 4T, oil filter every second change, this bike has never missed a beat.

You can easily tour on it, we did 10 days around tassie no worries.

The bad: Cosmetically it is not 100%, there are some scratches on the fairings & some cracks as well: a few of the bolt holes in top fairing have cracks & one side fairng is cracked around the indicator mount.

*EDIT*: Forgot to mention there is a broken bolt on the alternator cover due to to a blonde moment & an incorrectly set torque wrench when replacing a leaking gasket ](*,) I have another genuine bolt & gasket which will go with the bike, or I could have my arm twisted to do it before you collect the bike.

It doesn't leak, but knowing it's there annoys me.

I intended to fix these, but I'm out of time unfortunately :(

There was some rust on the header pipes, but I have cleaned that up & painted them in flat black exhaust paint (you can't see the header pipes, just to stop any rust coming back) & the exhaust themselves had some melted plastic from some saddlebags that I have cleaned off, I am in the process of polishing them as we speak.

Has had one little rest when the missus didn't put the sidestand down properly in a car park in tassie, bent clutch & gear lever was the only damage (apart from a couple of scratches) & both have been replaced.

No recent pics as yet, still in pieces waiting for the issus to wash the farings, but here is one from a few months ago when we were thinking of selling it:
    f129755360.

Comes with a ventura rack & bag, not currently fitted as the rack has two broken mounts, but could easily be rewelded with a bit of pipe.

I am asking $2300, I need this gone quickly, so I'm open to offers, but be reasonable: as I say, you will not need to spend a cent on this bike!

I have tried to be as honest & accurate as I can with this, but I suggest you come & see the bike for yourself if possible, bike is currently in Yarraville, willing to travel to give you a look if need be. Rego till January 2011 (I think, will comfirm), will be supplied with a RWC.

It's being sold for three reasons: The missus wants Ducati, I need some cash & it's not being used (plus, I get to buy a project bike with the leftovers!)

Send me a PM if your interested, I will send you my number.

Cheers, thanks for reading!

2. from all ive read, good leaner bikes!

my old man has the next step up (600) and its a hoot to ride!

3. Looks like an excellent deal folks! The ZZR250 is a consummate all-rounder and I've retained mine long after my restrictions have ended.

4. Yep, it's got to go, the price is below fair!

5. Tentatively sold, pending RWC & the exchange of cash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.