Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[melb] This noob has a Q: super fog

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by brownyy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. My shift just finished at midnight sunday and I got on a wet bike with 20m of visible wet road riding home. It was thick enough to make street lights disappear if they were more then 40-50m away.

Whilst my body was generally warm from winter gear, my clear visor on my helmet was getting a build up of water from the thick fog and made the lack of visibility even worse.

I then decided i could not ride with my visor down and pushed it up, at this time i'm on the tulla doing 100ish. Suddenly the same build up of water started on my face and eyes and i had the same problem, i could barely see anything and trying to keep the bike between the lines was proving difficult.

Does anyone know any tricks to deal with such a situation where you must ride though it?? I was only on the bike for 20 minutes, in which time my face was completely numb, but if that was an hour ride or more i reckon i'd be nailed.

Any tips or tricks besides don't ride in super fog?

Cheers all
  2. I had a similar problem this morning leaving home at 5:30am. Nice thick fog down bayside, so I rode with the visor just open a crack to keep a good airflow inside the helmet and breath lightly to reduce the fogging.

Every once in a while I'd wipe the palm of my gloved hand over the visor to remove the buildup of moisture so I could see better again.
  3. ^^ Yah thats what I do.
  4. Yep visor slightly open is the way to go.
    Though if visibility is just 20m then riding at 100 is definitely not a good idea, you're going to need a lot more distance than that to stop so you're just relying purely on luck.
  5. Regular wipes across the visor with your glove is the only way to remove outside moisture. If you don't like to keep your visor a tad open to prevent fogging,, try a fog-off mask. I swear by mine! also protects your neck from that damn freezing wind.
  6. I needs me a fog-off... but is there no wax type product that could coat your visor so that the rian/ condensation will just bead and run off?

Been told wd40 will stop fogging on mirrors, but how will it effect plastic visors?
  7. My brother once went 'round a corner leaned hard and fast, only to face head-on two bikes coming equally as hot the other way! He dealt with this by closing his eyes.

Could that work in your situation?
  8. It's a catch 22 jd. Travel slower and you run the risk of someone driving up your arse. I'll often sit on 100 in thick fog, for this reason. Being hit from behind is my biggest fear in fog.

My commute is PI to Prahran and lately much of that has been through thick fog - esp. worse from the Island through to Tooradin (1hr trip in fog).

A few things I do:

If on a hwy, I'll follow a car - at a safe distance and I never rely on them 100% just in case they think the rd goes left up ahead instead of right, but it does help in particularly thick fog.

It helps to know the rd you're on.

Keep the visor open a little and breathe lightly - as others have said.

Tap your brakes often - flash of red warns those coming up from behind that you're there.

Wear your waterproofs and enough clothes to keep you warm and dry throughout the trip...makes it one less thing you need to worry about.

Fog mask sounds good - will have to get one.

Today is the first day I've opted not to go to uni because of the weather conditions - his morning's fog was that thick I went back to bed. IF it's foggy at my place, then it's really foggy out on the hwy and this morning it was pretty foggy here.. Not worth the trip.
  9. +1 on slowing down in the fog - 100 in a situation where you can't see street lights 40 m away is nuts... stopping distance from 100 is way more than that, and the object on the road won't be that visible either.
  10. The Fog-Off is a horrible uncomfortable thing; it pinches your nose and makes boogies collect. If you find an alternative go with that instead.
  11. Agreed, which is why I watch my mirrors.
    You've a better chance of spotting a car coming up from behind, and accelerating away from it, than spotting an object blocking the road and braking for it.
  12. I couldn't disagree more. No offense, but you cant really judge speed from your mirrors, its damn near impossible, and how can u focus on whats in front if you're looking in your mirrors??

The only time I really worry about whats behind me is when I'm stopped at the lights and no one is behind me...or when the traffic begins to slow significantly from high speed, i duck into the middle of the lane just in case....

With the Fog issue, I rode home from the city to berwick at 11.30 last night and was facing the same problem with the fog, build up on helmet. Just rode with the visor open on the fway doing about 100. I got the build of up moisture on my face etc, but it didn't bother me, I could see, and that was more important to having a warm dry face. At one point i just started laughing...because my face was so cold and wet..but I really enjoyed the ride...go figure!

Most cars these days have rear fog lights which is great...80% of the cars y/day were visible from ages away. Really helps. Maybe we need something like that on our bikes???
  13. It's called experience. Seriously it doesn't take a great deal of effort to notice lights in the mirrors when riding at night, and also not that difficult to judge how quickly that light is getting brighter.
    Edit: Oh and should point out that really you should be keeping on eye on the mirrors in all conditions, not just when you're stopped at the lights.
  14. thanks for the advice all. Never knew about this fog off thing, but i don't have a problem with fog in the helmet visor, just fog so thick outside the water build up on the outside of the visor blocks my vision. Tryied clearing it with little effect. Maybe i need to look at that wax stuff or wd40 to bead the water more?

My main fear was getting arse-ended hence i kept up, the water built up on the mirrors so much i couldn't see anything in them...

I think it was just a bad night to be riding...

thanks all for the advice, might go look into preparing my visor for water de-stickyness-ing...
  15. You can do both, which was JD's point.

"Gee, that truck is coming up fast behind me" : that's me judging speed - judging a potentially dangerous situation involving a difference of speed. I reckon it can be done :)
  16. Same for me coming into the CBD on the Eastern this morning - just use the gloved palm to wipe off the build-up frequently.

I've now started using a cheap helmet which I’d kept stored away, reason being it was letting too much air in at H/way speeds. Figured, mebbe summer use, too cold for winter. Now letting in more air helps clear misted visor (film of shampoo too)! :grin:
  17. :grin: ... funny, i was on the eastern too, with a tinted visor (as it was sunny out in Mitcham), and didn't really need to pop up the visor, or wipe it... maybe its all teh previous bug-guts that stops condensation :LOL:
  18. I was riding home for about 40 minutes from the Sunday coffee/GP night. Even with wiping the outside of my visor it was so cold and the fog so intense that the inside of the visor was wet. Even riding with the visor open a crack, which normally works, didn't help. In the end I stopped, took off my glasses and rode home with the visor up. Frozen wet face (I couldn't feel my forehead for 20 mins after I got home!) but better visibility.

As others have said here, I didn't know what to do about how fast to go. Going at the 80/100 limit didn't allow time to avoid hazards as the visibility was maybe only 20-30 metres at times, especially where there were no streetlights. Going slow I was scared of being run over by a truck or car. Even with watching the mirrors I reckon if I was doing 50-60 on a single-lane 80 or 100 road a truck could easily go over the top of me. I was driving my car on the ring road on Saturday night and I was amazed how cars and trucks materialised out of nowhere as I came up behind them. From 50 metres back I would say there was nothing in front of me; get a bit closer and whoah, it was a semi. This was on my mind as I rode home last night - me plus tiny bike tail-light plus fog equals invisible :shock: For the most part where I could I followed behind a car to improve my safety and help see where the road was going.

In retrospect I should have taken my car :p
  19. Just a shame "safety" cameras don't work in heavy fog - one occasion where they'd actually be useful (booking all the cars that are still blindly sticking to the speed limit).
  20. i put rainx on the outside of my visor and it worked very well the fog sort of beaded to it ( not sure if thats the right word ) anyway then all i had to do was turn my had from left to right and it just ran off and for the inside open ya visor slightly and that demises the inside

hope that helped