Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Melb] Shire of Yarra Valley Instructed Rides

Discussion in 'VIC' started by vic, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Instructed rides?

Can somebody enlighten me?

There is one in the calendar for the 27th February, but no details to explain what it is all about.

2. Re: Instructed rides?

https://netrider.net.au/calendar/?action=details&id=250 reads....

----
    Sun Feb 27th, 2005
    [Melb] Shire of Yarra Instructed Ride - Reefton

Shire of Yarra Motorcycle Safety Sub Committee instructed ride.

Sunday 27th February 2005

Route: Lilydale - Yarra Junction - Reefton Junction - Cumberland Junction - Healesville and Lilydale via Marysville.

Note: Only Licensed riders (no learners) are permitted to participate on the Reefton Ride.

Telephone 1300 368 333 or email your interest

The fee is $33.00 per rider non-refundable).

Refer: http://www.yarraranges.vic.gov.au/Files/Instructed_Rides_Card_2005.pdf for full details
    ----

What more details are you wanting?

3. What is an "instructed" ride?

4. Why does it cost $33?
    What is it all about (just a ride, or is there more to it than that)?

5. You go out riding with HART instructors. It's an educational ride.

They go through things with you such as positioning yourself on a motorcycle, vision, as in looking through a corner, road positioning, fatigue, etc...

Basically, it is designed to help a riders ride better and safer on the road. To keep you riding longer.

6. Thanks, Android.

7. Sounds like a damn good idea.

8. A few people have asked about these in the past, and they are on again this season. At only $33 and with a max of 30 riders, they are a great and cheap way to get yourself some instruction and riding tips.

The events calendar has all the details! Be sure to contact them and book your place, as they go quickly.

The first one (of 3) being for all rider types and going to Toolangi is this Sunday (25th Sept).

The first one (of 3) being for licensed riders only (no learners) and going to Reefton is Sun 30th Oct.

9. Oct 30th Reefton Ride

Wondered if anyone else is interested in going on this?

Shire of Yarra Motorcycle Safety Sub Committee instructed ride.
    Sunday 30th October 2005
    Route: Lilydale - Yarra Junction - Reefton Junction - Cumberland Junction - Healesville and Lilydale via Marysville.
    Note: Only Licensed riders (no learners) are permitted to participate on the Reefton Ride.
    Telephone 1300 368 333 or email your interest

'Cos would hate to miss out.....

PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO THE LACK OF NUMBER AT THIS STAGE, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE RIDE MAY BE CANCELLED.
    IF SO, I WILL CONTACT YOU AND MOVE YOU TO ANOTHER RIDE DATE.
    IF YOU HAVE ANY MATES WHO YOU THINK WOULD BE INTERESTED PLEASE TELL THEM.
    AS WE ARE MONTH AWAY FROM THE DATE, I THINK WE WILL GET THE NUMBERS....
    I HAVE 8 BOOKED ON THE RIDE OS FAR, I NEED A MINIMUM OF 15 FOR IT TO RUN.

10. This may be something for many people on this site to consider.

Yes, many of you think you are gun riders and legends and dont need to attend something like this. Well, many of you are VERY wrong and are fooling yourselves. Anyone and everyone that has not been riding regularly for atleast 5 years will learn something. Worst case, you may learn to be safe.

This might be an opportunity for a number of riders to be there to support the idea of Safer Riding in the region. If there is a large group turning up, it may make us look good.

Anyway, just a thought.

I would attend but I am currently booked on a ride trip. Sorry.

11. Re: Oct 30th Reefton Ride

Yep, I am and have emailed;

Mark McGuire
    ROAD SAFETY OFFICER
    SHIRE OF YARRA RANGES
    Email: m.mcguire@yarraranges.vic.gov.au

Cheers
    Lids
    :D :D

12. You should drop-out and do this. It would be good for you to go Skuff :)

13. Re: Oct 30th Reefton Ride

Great - its the ONLY one I can do - so am really hoping it goes ahead :)

14. I personally think it's the $33 that has put most riders off. Considering we pay our levy it should be subsidised.
    my 2 cents worth plus gst.

15. You have a good point there Mouth.

OK, I will meet you there in the morning.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

16. I went on the first guided Yarra ride they did.

A really great day with lots of bike info and camraderie.

It included a "how to" do daily safety checks and finished with a sobering chat with ambulance officers at the end of the day at the Healesveale cop station.

The spurs were on the list of roads travelled and for me it was the first time I'd done those roads... so was an ideal introduction.

There were several basic instructional sessions throughout the day regarding road position, body position, looking through corners etc etc

All good stuff!

A very worthwhile day.

17. AFAIK, this is Shire-run (at least partially). Shire-residents pay for it (most probably in a vain attempt to cut down on their quality weekend time getting cut-to-shreds by endless runs of the ambos).

18. I went on one of these a year or so ago and they were free at that stage. It must have been a council funding issue.

Definitely, worthwhile. I learnt about manipulating road position that draw the attention of cagers to my existence and that is one thing/technique that has to help your survival. Still using the technique today. :D :D :D

19. It is!