Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[MELB] Rego/transfer?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by DarkHorse528, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Let me start with this: I had no clue where to post this, im sorry if i chose the wrong place.

I'm looking at buying a bike off Ebay, but one thing is holding me back.
    It has NSW custom plates, but no rego.
    What would be the cost to get some rego on this bike, and how much would it cost to transfer the plates over to Victorian?

It is a 1992 FZR600.

Sorry again if this is in the wrong place, and thanks for your time guys and girls!

2. In my experience, you need to do the following:

1) Get Victorian RWC $50 - $70 plus any work if necessary
    2) Take bike and RWC to Vicroads for inspection $40 (inspection fee) + $400 - $500 (reg + stamp duty (depends on buy price)
    3) Return NSW plate to RTA for rego reimbursement (if any left)

From memory that's it.
  3. Thanks for the quick reply!

Plates read FZR 92

There is no rego on them, so this leads me to the following...
    Is it extra for me to keep the custom plates? (transfer them from NSW to VIC)
    Could i sell the NSW plates privately?
  4. I doubt very much you could transfer the plates from NSW to VIC. You'd have to pay for new custom plates. I'd be selling them on ebay!
  5. I don't believe you can transfer the plates. I think the only alternative is to see if FZR92 is available from Vicroads and buy them, and as VCM said sell the NSW ones on eBay :p .
  6. You going to buy an interstate vehicle w/out first checking it out? :shock: :LOL:

Hopefully you don't end up getting a 1:48 scale model of an
    FZR600 & a numberplate in the letterbox as the item purchased :LOL:

Good luck nOOb :wink:
  7. Of course i will check it out first.

This is the fishy part - The guy lives in Mornington (vic) yet the plates are NSW and he claims that he bought it from a guy in Shapperton (vic) and he has never rode it, because he was waiting to get his license and never did. :?
  8. Wierd!

Make sure you don't get stung mate. View the bike first;
    check paperwork & make sure its cash on delivery or pick-up.

None of this pay first, then the bike gets delivered shit.

My first 2 bikes were bought on eBay & there were the conditions
    or no sale.
  9. Yeah it is pickup only and COD.

This is the link for it, if anyone is interested in checking it out.