Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Melb] Our speeding MPs

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CamKawa, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Our speeding MPs
    Tanya Giles

POLICE Minister Tim Holding is among scores of state politicians caught speeding in their Government cars.

He was caught doing 67km/h in a 60km/h zone in February last year, an offence that carries a fine of $134 and one demerit point.
    "I am happy to cop it sweet when I've done the wrong thing," he said.

Six other senior politicians - whose responsibilities involve road safety, health, youth and the law -- were among leadfooted politicians who clocked up a record 85 speeding and traffic fines in 18 months.

They were Health Minister Bronwyn Pike, Youth Affairs Minister Jacinta Allan, Opposition police spokesman Kim Wells, Opposition health spokeswoman Helen Shardey, Opposition transport spokesman Terry Mulder and shadow attorney-general Andrew McIntosh.

Documents obtained by the Herald Sun under Freedom of Information laws show one politician's car was recorded doing 80km/h in a 60km/h zone and two others ran red lights, endangering other road users.

Many of the speeders, including Mr Holding, were repeat offenders.

The documents also reveal state MPs are speeding more than ever, with a shocking 30 per cent increase in the past year in those caught breaking road rules.

The details come as the Government plans to spend $526 million this financial year on road safety campaigns urging drivers to slow down.

Mr Holding said politicians were not above the law and should obey speed limits.

"The Wipe Off 5 message applies to everyone - politicians, police, judges, or anyone else for that matter," he said.

Slowing down, even if just a few kilometres above the speed limit, saved lives.

"Forcing motorists to drive at the posted speed limit is the surest way of reducing the road toll," he said.

"It's at a record low, but still far too many people are dying and getting hurt on our roads."

Ms Pike, who was clocked doing 64km/h in a 60km/h zone, said the fine reminded her that even driving a little over the limit was too fast.

Ms Allan was detected driving more than 10km/h but less than 15km/h over the limit, an offence that attracts a $215 fine and the loss of two demerit points.

Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu, who has previously been fined for speeding, repeatedly declined to say if he had been nabbed again.

He also declined the opportunity to urge speeding motorists to slow down and save lives.

Opposition police spokesman Mr Wells, who was caught travelling about 110km/h in an 100km/h zone, said there was no excuse.

Other MPs who received speeding fines in the period July 1, 2004, and December 31, 2005, were the Nationals' Bill Baxter and Damian Drum, Labor backbenchers Tony Robinson and James Merlino and Liberal MPs David Koch and Martin Dixon, who last year received his first fine in 24 years.

In the worst case, one MP's car was clocked travelling 80km/h in a 60km/h zone on Beaconsfield Pde, Middle Park, in August 2005.

Another MP was sent a fine for $538 for driving 16km/h over the limit on the Dukes Highway, South Australia, in March 2005.

More serious offences included five MPs whose cars were detected travelling between 15km/h and 20km/h over the limit in Middle Park and Fitzroy and the country towns of Kanumbra, St Arnaud and Merrijig. Seventeen others were detected driving between 10km/h and 15km/h over the limit.

Two MPs were also fined for driving through red lights at the intersection of Springvale and Wellington roads, Mulgrave, in July 2004 and the intersection of Glen Eira Rd and Hotham St, St Kilda, in April 2005.

Running a red light attracts a $215 fine and the cost of two points.

RACV public policy manager Dr Ken Ogden said politicians should abide by the laws they made. "There is no excuse for politicians who break the law," he said.

Nationals leader Peter Ryan urged motorists to drive to the road and weather conditions and allow plenty of time to make journeys.

"We've probably all been guilty of driving too fast but saving a few minutes by speeding means nothing if you increase your risk of having an accident and causing serious injuries or worse," he said.

In total, MPs copped almost $12,000 in speeding and traffic fines between July 1, 2004, and December 31, 2005.

They also incurred $1500 of tollway fines and $4351 of parking fines.

Dr Bill Sykes, of the Nationals, received a $120 fine from Maribyrnong City Council for parking in a disabled spot at Target. Dr Sykes said he was distracted as his daughter was expecting her first child after 20 hours of labour and apologised for his error.

Privacy laws prevented the Herald Sun obtaining the names of MPs caught breaking road rules.

But most MPs, including all government ministers, answered Herald Sun questions.

Among the MPs who declined to disclose whether they had been caught speeding were Opposition MPs Andrea Coote, Philip Davis, David Davis, Ken Smith and Andrew Brideson and Government backbenchers Anne Eckstein, Liz Beattie, Alistair Harkness and Glenyys Romanes.
  2. Murderous bastards!!!!

Speed kills right?

3. A case of reaping what you sow?

They've turned our road system into a total police state of speeding enforcement that they're now discovering just how easy it is to get caught without even trying.

I'd say that what they're experiencing is no different what what the general public has to deal with.

Perhaps this is a good thing?
  4. Then there are the pollies who get done for exceeding .05 as well! These people have to realise it's not enough to do the right thing but to be seen to be doing the right thing! They make the rules so why can't they play by them?
  5. Do as I say, not as I do!

They wanna bring their speed cameras over here. I've got a motorcycle cop who regularly does 90kmh on his way to work through a 40kmh school zone in the morning just up the road from me
  6. Fine 'em double for being a bad example!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    I find it ironic, that as more & more speed cameras are getting deployed/installed around the country suposedly making Australia a "safer" place, our road toll still goes up....... :eek:
  7. kiwimike, that's because exceeding the posted speed limit is only a factor in around 3% of all accidents. Sad, but true.

Of course this statistic gets blurred because accident reports instead refer to "excessive speed", which pretty much means driving at a speed where the accident could not have been avoided, and so quite comfortably encompasses about 70-80% of all accidents even though almost all occur at speeds at or below the posted speed limit, and it is this statistic which gets misused to apply the demonising of speed rhetoric.

In short, yes, while exceeding the posted speed limit is generally more dangerous than not exceeding the posted speed limit, it does not account for the cause of the vast number of accidents, which are almost always driver error.
  8. I see that Lindsay Fox has slammed the 100 km/h limit on the Geelong freeway as being too low. He suggested that it be raised to 120 km/h. RACV seems in agreeance, but with reservations. Vicroads reckons "nope. Too dangerous. Raising it from 100 km/h to 110 km/h will increase the crash rate by 33%.

It'd be interesting to see where it came up with those figures. Probably need to submit expensive FoI requests to get 'em, though...

I have to travel to MEL frequently from the Latrobe Valley. Once we get to Longwarry, the 110 km/h drops back to 100 km/h. Then when we get to Nar Nar Goon, it's 80 kays all the way til we get to the Berwick bypass and it's back up to 100 again, til we reach the area where the Scoresby toll way is going through. Then it's back to 80 again.

Aside from all the traffic lights, the traffic is bumper to bumper almost (not necessarily tailgating, but that happens). We have to judge our travel times carefully in order to avoid the snarls. That the speeds drop, increase, drop, increase, etc. doesn't help matters any.

Why is it, that on roads with variable electronic signs that during peak hour they SLOW the traffic down....

9. "(Ted Baillieu)" also declined the opportunity to urge speeding motorists to slow down and save lives. "

Oh, because we wait with anticpation for the next pollie to righteously tell us to slow down... christ
  10. My favorate is still the incident of Jeff kennet that was swept under the carpet.

"On January 3 1996, Kennett was able to avoid being charged for driving 143 km in a 100 km zone on the Hamilton Highway, near Lismore, Western Victoria. Normally, the minimum penalty for such an offence in Victoria is automatic licence suspension and a hefty fine. Jail is also an alternative. Kennett got no licence suspension - the Police refused to charge him. It has since been revealed that another man, a publican at Colac, was pulled over for allegedly doing 133 km in the same area. The Police officer refused to use his discretion to drop the alleged speed by a mere 3 km to allow him to keep his licence. In yet another case, Mr. Clive Goodenough was taken to court for doing more than 30 km over the limit. He was jailed for two months following an ex-parte hearing. There he was bashed and raped. Kennett refused his application to have the case reopened. "
  11. FL, you enclose the statement in quotes. Who are you attributing this to?
  12. :shock: :shock: :shock:
    I would have thought teaching motorists to drive safely would be more effective. That and targetting all the F-wits that tailgate, change lanes without indicating, etc etc that speed cameras don't pick up. Obviously even the politicians don't agree with posted speed limits since they choose to break them yet they still try and push the message that we should all actually travel at less than the limit (ie the "wipe off 5 campaign"). What a bunch of hypocrites, any wonder so many people ignore everything they say.
  13. The road toll HAS to go up, it's simple maths. More trips per day, more road users per year, more cars on road. More likelihood of accidents.
    Which is teh reason the way pollies and the police use statistics to back up their claims about speding are flawed.

Regards, Andrew.
  14. I am quoting this website http://www.smuggled.com/ken1.htm
    Though I still rememeber when it was origionaly in the news... Then suddenly the news all went quiet about it.
  15. Exactly, but, I bet if someone does the figures and compares the road toll as 'per user' stat then the rate would be getting lower. i.e if there are 10% more people on the roads this year, I bet the road toll hasn't gone up 10%, so an effective drop in the road toll.
  16. Not necessarily, increasing cars and number of trips will increase the number of accidents sure - but if cars and roads are made safer then the number of fatalities can still be brought down. That's the approach the Swedes are taking to road safety (don't try and prevent accidents just try and prevent fatal ones), of course part of that strategy involves reducing/eliminating motorcycles :( .