Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melb: Know your way around a bike?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by missmakeupgrrl, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Well do I have an offer for you!

Ok, not really. We (my partner and I) are complete motorbike noobs - but we'd like to buy our first bike. We need someone who knows their way around a bike a can advise us on it mechanically, and who might be able to spot a lemon. Clearly we're not looking for a written report, but a little help that will stop us buying something potentially dodgy.

We currently have our eye on a bike in the city, and would love if someone could check it out.

Whats in it for you? We'd be more than happy to take you out for a few rounds and a feed OR if you need IT help - we're both geeks.

If you're interested, let me know somehow. :)

BTW, the bike is a Honda. Himself is keen on a VTR, I myself would like a Ninja or GPX - but am willing to compromise!!
  2. will you be insprecting the bike personally yourselves, as well?
    if its a VTR, i can give you a whole heap of stuff to look for, than anyone can do :)
  3. For sure we will. I've already had a look over it, and it looked pristine to my untrained eye.

Any help appreciated, Nibor.
  4. Is it private sale or from a dealer?
  5. Both awesome bikes and very forgiving for learners. (GPX gets more K's though, bigger tank)

If you're buying from a dealer you will be getting a RWC, and some kind of warranty? (prob not if its used)

Most of the time the bikes are in good condition, look at anything that would touch the ground in a drop, bar ends, foot pegs, sides of the forks, etc,

But really with 2 choices like that you can hardly go wrong (unless previous owners starved them of oil)
  6. Thankyou everyone for your replies. We're working our way through the VTR thread - and one very lovely netrider has offered to check it out for us.

Fingers crossed. I'll keep you all posted, and if we get it - I know I have to post pics ;)