Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Melb] Good places to shop, try and buy a scooter

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by egiste, May 29, 2006.

1. Greatings Scooter people,

Just wondering if someone can recomend good shops to checkout and buy a scooter in Melbourne ?? Also recomendations for brands and models would be great.

Just asking for a friend (she asked me and I have no idea).

She has been to Redwing honda, Scoota City and knows about the one on hoddle street (?) but hasn't been there yet.

She is keen to get a "vesper style one" but would also be interested in something with a bit more go. Also she is quite short, around 5 foot, and has concerns with being able to reach the ground. Looking at about $2.5k - $3k new.

Thanks in advance.

2. Has she been to Zagame Church St Richmond or Moto One Salon on Chapel St?
  3. sure you are ;)

Theres scooter euphorium on heidleburg rd? im tol d they are quite friendly in there... and they also have a poster of a chick ridig a scooter in their window so must be girl friendly ;)
  4. There's also Vmoto (Chinese made) in Port Melbourne.
  5. :rofl:

My local mechanic has a photo of a well endowed young women holding some tools in his workshop - I asssume that means he's girl friendly as well... :LOL: :LOL:

To say nothing of my local Chiko Roll outlet :p
  6. Cheers people, I have passed on the link and Im sure she will have fun visiting all these places.

/eGiste heads off to TonyE's local Chiko Roll shop for some 'girl friendly' lunch :grin: :grin:
  7. Just advise her to get one thats bigger than 50cc. I'd suggest 125 is the minimum she should consider.
  8. Redwing have a nice pink one sitting in the middle of their shop at the moment
    Other than that peter stevens or scooter city
  9. I agree with Duffman, don't waste your time with a 50cc. Most don't have the capability to keep up with traffic unless its regular stop start. 125cc is the best place to start. I started with a Today50, fun to ride, but I never felt comfortable on it because it could never keep up with traffic (in a 60km/h zone) going down hill. My Mrs is a similar height to your friend, had no problems riding the 50cc in terms of reaching the ground…we've since traded up to a 125cc, a bit bigger, she can still touch ground with toes, but now you actually have to pay attention to the speedo because breaking the speed limit is a possibility(!)

In terms of places to go to buy one, I bought the 50cc one from Peter Stevens in the city - let's just say the experience left much to be desired and I can vouch for someone else on the netrider forums sig 'Peter Stevens is definitely not my friend'. That's really only for buying bikes/scooters though, I've been very happy with both the spare parts and also clothes etc up stairs (Holly is very helpful).

For many of the places it depends on the sales person you get. I didn't find any I liked, or that were interested in the scooter/entry level bike market at PS. I did have an experience with a slightly shady character at Scoota City early on, but then ended up buying the 125 scoota from there (from another bloke). Ask for Chris, very helpful, genuine character. He'll probably have a crack at selling you a vtr250 (because he loves them, and they are nice bikes to ride) but he'll also look after you in terms of getting a scooter sorted out. If he's not in Scoota City, look for him at the Yamaha dealership further up elizabeth st.

Good luck!
  10. Some people are happy with a 50cc scooter, if they are only going to ride it around their local area, they don't want to spend over $2000 on a new scooter and they only can afford $92 per year rego. Three reasons to not go any bigger? Once confidence & experience has grown, then a better decision can be made on which type of larger bike is needed/wanted.
  11. Totally agree with JO. 50cc's can be a good place to start. Especially if people are a little nervous about riding.
  12. try armadale motors in High st armadale, Sandy is the man to speak to..