Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Melb - Canberra over the Snowies

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by Jeimbo, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Committed myself to go to Canberra to help a mate tile the floors in his house last weekend. Figured best way to go was to ride Melb - Khancoban via Mansfield, Whitfiled, Myrtleford and Kiewa Vally. Better half would come along and head home on the Sat as had to work while I'd go on to Canberra via Thredbo (Alpine Way), Jindabyne and Cooma. Me on my Triumph Sprint, partner on her R1.

Well, best laid plans. Sequence of events, it was hiking down with rain. Not too much of a problem but Whitfield was an ice rink with no visibility. After Whitfield I copped a flat rear about 20km from Myrtleford so rode slowly and had it plugged at Alpine Motorcycles. Kept going, headed into Yackandandah as we were way behind on time (didn't worry about the road over the hills to Kiewa) then on to Khancoban. Next morning Faye rides home while I headed north. She had her share of troubles incl being turned around 3 times due to road closures, fuel issues and constant heavy rain.

The Alpine Way was covered in leaves, gravel, mud and fallen trees. My rear tyre was going down despite the plug. Fog set in so visibility a drama. Got to Jindabyne where I pumped the tyre up. High tailed it to Cooma for lunch and fuel then a fast blast to Bungendore near Canberra. Rough job on the tiles as the floor wasn't prepped properly but got it done. Spent 30 min searching for a lost bike key on Tuesday when it was time to come home. Got misplaced searching for the Barton Hwy to Yass as decided the Hume was better bet than mountains given road closures. Pumped tyre up at every fuel stop which was just Yass and Wangaratta. I didn't stop otherwise and by the time I got through Woori Yallock having come through Seymour and Yea, I found the road closures still in place and had to skirt around to get home to Cranbourne.

9 hours 30 min to do 790km but was reasonably trouble free....just tiring to do the long straight stretches (doing reasonable speeds).

Weekend from hell but character building!!

2. That's not a touring diary, that's a catalogue of torture :shock: :LOL:

mark it down in the diary to do it again, you couldn't have that stiff a trip twice (y)

3. Jeimbo,

I came through the Snowies last week (from the Merimbula side) and was lucky to have planned to be back in Melbourne by Friday. We had 5 straight days over 40 degrees, and in Cooma it was 44 deg when we were having lunch.

Sounds like you had a horror time on the way up, but you made the right choice on the way back.........long & boring, but as you said trouble free.

Gerry

4. A few pics......servo at Mansfield,accom at Khancoban and the conditions on the Alpine Way.

Attached Files:

107.jpg
      File size:
      22 KB
      Views:
      109.jpg
      File size:
      18.5 KB
      Views:
      116.jpg
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Alpine Way road debris,Thredbo and Hume (in better conditions)

Attached Files:

118.jpg
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
      121.jpg
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
      137.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Geez dunno what'd be worse - stifling heat or rain. Hmm, rain I reckon! Even though the Triumph pumps out hot air from the fairing and also from underseat exhaust!! You just missed the fun weather mate!! Puncture repair kit on the shopping list for me I reckon...