Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

melb 2 syd: what 2 take 4 the ride?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by dje, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Heya~
    Going by bike from Melb to Syd in the very near future... its my first long'ish trip so would like a few pointers from anyone who has done the trip before.

Just wondering what essentials to take for the bike and me to make the trip more comfortable, and whats the best/quickest road to get there?

Also, ill prob do it in 2 days, so if anyone knows somewhere good and cheap to stay along the way that would be great also!

Thanks in advance!

2. Chain lube. A sheepskin for the seat (your arse will know pain... and you'll still have 500km to go). Be prepared for cold if you are riding at night anywhere south of Goulburn NSW. Hume is the fastest but very boring. Watch for (arsehole) cops Albury to Gundagai- observe 60 zones in Holbrook and Tarcutta.

If you want to vary the path and are not in a hurry, turn off Hume and take Snowy Mountains Highway via Batlow and Cooma, then north to Canberra.

If you are on the road after 10pm, fuel stops may be hard to find where you need them.
  3. ear plugs.

seriously. otherwise expect a raging headache
  4. Don't take the Hume unless you need to get there quickly; the Princes Highway is longer, but you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Beware of police between Orbost and Eden and a bit to the north of Eden.

Fuel stops are plenty on the NSW side of the border.

Depending on where you have to be in Sydney, you're welcome to stay at my place (90kms south of).
  5. My hubby has done the ride form melb to syd a few times,
    He will be doing it again next weekend.

The biggest issue was what to pack, after the first trip he has down sized.

Now has a very small compact sleeping bag, fits in palm of hand.
    Tek towel, like a microfibe chamios.
    Piece of tubing, to syphon fuel.
    Puncture repair kit.
    Pen paper to write your trip down.
    Piece of wood to chock up back wheel in case of punture or to lube chain.
    Oh and he now packs twice as many socks, he is sick of wet feet.

I will ask him, what else when he comes home :grin:

Enjoy your trip!
  6. Hey, if your interested in doing it this weekend, I am heading up very early saturday morning.

What to bring:
    Water - Camel Back
    Puncture repair kit and plenty of O2 bottles
    Thermal top and bottom - they pack small and give that little extra warmth
    Snacks - high in carbs and protein just in case you have to wait a while
    mobile phone
    GPS is you have one - incase of breakdown
    ADVISE people of where you are going and where youa re staying
    chain lube is a good idea...... I will remember that myself
    Ear plugs

If I think of something else, I will let you know
  7. All good ideas Mr Scuffy :)

Having done this trip a few times, the only thing I can add is if your traveling by yourself,

I send a few text msgs to my better half every time i stop for fuel and gave the eta and location of my next fuel / intended stop and didn't leave till i got an answer from her and if it took awhile for an answer back.
    I just adjusted my eta time before i put my helmet back on. That way She wasn't sick with panic wondering if anything had gone wrong.
  8. Thats a good point Bob
  9. As someone who's done a lot of touring...

As well as what's been previously mentioned (especially the gaffer tape)
    2 plastic supermarket bags... :grin:

If you need to stop and put wet weather gear on then it will save you a lot of undignified hopping around if you put them over your boots. The gear will slide on over the boots easily then.

As well, if it's wet put them over your socks inside your boots. You will save seriously wet feet then (Mind you - if it's warm then your feet might be rather on the nose when you take your boots off :LOL: )

A small torch is a good idea if you're likely to get caught out after dark.

The Hume is far far quicker but very very boring.

There's often a radar at Goulburn where the road to Canberra joins the Hume. Also be aware that NSW has some overly long 60 & 80 k zones around towns - Cops love these. At least you get plenty of warning on the fixed speed cameras - no excuse for getting caught by these :?

Don't forget some change - you have to pay tolls in NSW so easily accessible loose change is a good idea.

Also the bakery in Holbrook is pretty good. :LOL:

10. Thanks for the reply's! I picked up some great pointers here for the trip.
    Much appreciated~