Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Melb] 1.4million new cars on the roads in 20years...

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by robsalvv, Mar 23, 2011.

1. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...cars-in-20-years/story-e6frf7kx-1226026375144

Extra 1.4 million cars in 20 years
    Ashley Gardiner, March 23, 2011 12:00AM

VICTORIA'S congested roads will need to cope with an extra 1.4 million cars within 20 years.

Car ownership is predicted to grow in Australia by 5.5 million in that period, a study by The Economist Intelligence Unit has found. But soaring fuel prices, and better public transport, could see those predictions reined in.

The EIU is the same group that ranks the world's most livable cities - in which Melbourne is rated second behind Vancouver. RACV public policy manager Brian Negus said road and public transport infrastructure needed to be improved and integrated in order to cope.

"We clearly need some major freeway and public transport projects," he said. These included a link from CityLink to the Eastern Freeway, and from the Eastern Freeway to the Metropolitan Ring Road.

Public transport priorities included the proposed rail tunnel from Footscray to Caulfield, bus and tram improvements, and level crossing removal. Public Transport Users Association president Daniel Bowen said people would keep driving if they had no alternative. "We see that every day in outer suburban Melbourne, where most people have no other option," Mr Bowen said. He said 1.4 million more cars would mean chaotic road conditions seven days a week.

"The key to avoiding it is providing an alternative so they don't have to drive," he said. "It should be clear, in any big city, you can't efficiently move people around in their cars. "The Government needs to invest more in public transport right across Melbourne."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Not a mention of motorcycles or bicycles as a part solution.

*shakes head* What else is RACV likely to say except give us more roads :roll:

The public transport guy is right, the outer suburbs suck for PT.
  2. The key is not having everyone trying to get to the same place at the same time.

Allow more people the flexibility to start work at say 8am or 10am instead of 9 and you'd reduce a lot of the congestion on the roads and public transport.
  3. the more roads you build the more cameras you can fit in
  4. Just ban all cars, there I said it. Feels damn good to finally get that off my chest.
  5. Unless someone comes up with an effective replacement for oil within the next 10-15 years, there's going to be a whole lot less cars on the road in 20 years than today.
  6. I work 10:30 to 7:30 most days. 7:30 traffic is pretty good but at 10:30 in the morning there's good chunks of Melbourne that are STILL ridiculously congested.

The sad thing is, even at peak hour, it's quicker for me to drive to work across town in the car than to take public transport that's only minutes from the front doors of both my house and work. And what's even more insane, the time advantage in driving over PT has been getting better, not worse, for years.

The bikes? They're in a whole other league.