Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[mel]Is it legal to ride in dedicated tram lane in the city.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by rye, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Hi guys,
    The city can be so congested, I some times see bicycles ride up and down the tram lanes in the city.
    Is it legal for motorbikes to ride in the dedicated tram lanes in the city ?

2. lol? no.
  3. No.

Strangely enough it's not legal for bicycles to use dedicated tram lanes as well but as we know bike riders are a law unto themselves.
  4. Not quite a total no :p

From VicRoads web site...

* Tram lanes are designated by a tram lane sign (which may indicate hours of operation) and a continuous yellow line.

* A driver must not drive in a tram lane during the times it is operational, except for up to 100 metres before turning, so long as they do not obstruct the progress of a tram.
  5. No.

(edit: if by "In the city" you mean the ones that on parts of the road never used by cars. In Chapel Street etc where the trams lines are in the driving lanes, the answer is obviously 'yes' or 'sometimes', but I don't think that's what you mean)
  6. thanks for the clarification, i'm newish to VIC :eek:
  7. There are dedicated lanes for trams?????? :?: :shock:
  8. Given your north-eastern location I would have also accepted "What are trams?!"
  9. That's what I was thinking.
    Hmm, maybe those weren't express lanes after all :-w .