Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Megelli Coming to Australia

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by termis, Mar 13, 2009.

1. So I just read an article on AMCN about Megelli being imported in to Aus. They have an interesting business model -- design em in UK, get the parts from Taiwan, and build 'em in China.

They're obviously going for cost savings by building them in China, but I wonder if these guys can overcome the "cheap & nasty" image of Chinese bikes. They're obviously emphasizing the UK design, and not even mentioning where they're built in their website. http://www.megelli.com/

Companies like Nike have done the same thing successfully (without terribly damaging their Quality image), so I wanna see how this plays out.

For a starter, bikes look decent enough.

Waddaya guys think?

2. I would rather a bike built in China than Italy.
  3. You realise all those bikes have the same engine.
    Two of them have the same wheels.
    They all have the same frame.
    Need i go on?

Cute things. Couldnt possibly be more then $4k brand new i imagine.
  4. For a Chinese bike to be successful it would have to be quite cheap even if the apparent quality was average or even above. Simply because of the unknown factor over time.

The other thing going against these is the capacity. 125cc is too small for all but inner city Melbourne and Sydney.

for the right capacity and the right price and the right apparent quality it could be successful, but that's not this bike.

Maybe if they sold them for $2000 ride away.
  5. Well, they're quite attractive and their paper specs are comparable with 4 stroke 125s everywhere. I reckon they'll do well wherever there's a market for 125s. Which I don't think is Australia.

Which, once upon a time, was how all bike manufacturers functioned, in markets well above utility bike level. Go and look at a (real) Triumph Thunderbird (tourer), Bonneville (sports) and Trophy (dirt). basically identical in all major components but all hugely successful in their respective roles. I really don't think it's an issue in the utilitarian 125 market as long as the clothes are pretty enough and the prices are sensible.

As far as quality is concerned, they'll be fine if the parent company does their own QA/QC. If they leave it to the locals it'll be crap. The Chinese are capable of building pretty much anything to any standad you care to name but it seems difficult to get them to actually do so if you can't put your own people into the factory with enough authority and respect to make their word stick.

Potentially decent bikes but they won't sell here.
  6. And yet the honda 125s do. And yet hysoung does, and they arent cheap. Hmmmm.
  7. Yeah, that's the thing -- I think a lot of us have been riding for awhile, so it's hard to readily get jump into the frame of mind of the consumers that these bikes would be intended for (namely, new riders -- and there seems to be a lot more of 'em these days).

Apparently it's going to be under $5k (Which means what, $4990? They'd definitely would have to do better than that). I'm not sure if _I_ would spend that much for these, but someone who's looking to get into the sport might be impressed enough to shell out the cash. If the likes of CBR125s sell well, these might have a chance.
  8. cheaper, and the electronics might work :-O :p
  9. But do they?

The fact that I'm WA based night skew things a bit, but I've only seen one on the road. All the others I'm aware of have been for sale with ridiculously low kms at ridiculously low prices.

Oh yes, and there's one being ridden to Albany today :grin: .

Thing is, Honda have an established importer/distributor/dealer network that would be there whether or not the WeeBR existed or not. Megelli don't and I'm not convinced that a range of 125s will sell well enough to support one. This is likely to lead to a classic Catch 22. Sales will be limited because of limited manufacturer/dealer support but because of limited sales, the resources won't be there to provide a decent number of dealers with demo bikes, spares inventory etc.

I know, I'm a fine one to talk, having recently bought a Ural, the nearest dealer for which is 4000 kms away and the future of whose manufacturer is permanently in doubt. But I'm not your typical buyer of a shiny new 125 that I want to be able to rely on every day.

Like I said, I think they're potentially good bikes and I can see them selling well in Europe and Asia. but to do well here, as the sole product the manufacturer offers, they'd have to be perfectly adapted to the Australian market and I don't believe that any 125 is.
  10. if they go the 250 road they will sell heaps
  11. again, doubtful. I think as people start to wise up to lams you'll see the 250 market fading.
  12. again doubtful, the ninja 250r is in the top 10 motorcycle sales
  13. hmm, if the bike is cheap, and they release a 250 naked in oz then I'd consider one as a commuter/2nd bike. Hopefully parts will be cheap too. A bit of wait and see for things like premature rusting and whatnot.
  14. Better than having a bike designed in Taiwan, getting the parts from China and building it in the UK :)
    Seriously though - I say, bring it on. The more entry-level options we have, the better for health of biking in general. The more competition there is, the better for us, the customers. And this bike looks pretty decent and I think it could easily compete against CB125.... which reminds me - I wonder whatever happened to our psybic and his '200cc sexy bike' that he was going to import and have on the roads by early 2008?
  15. The sport looks very Ducati to me. They really do not look bad at all.
    On the American link, the cruiser reminds me of the Arqin V3 250. Looks ugly (the cruiser).
  16. Let's not get carried away now. :LOL:

They looks alright to me -- but only as a 125-class motorcycle. Even as a 250, the chassis starts to look a bit to wimpy to hold a decent 250 motor. (though these only output 17hp, so it may be okay I guess...)

In addition to what I said earlier about appealing to new riders, one big segment where they can compete is against scooters. I for one, would take a closer look at these instead of a scooter if I just wanted something for a quick commute. And the scooter market, as I understand, are doing well at the moment.
  17. I dunno. For a cheap commuter, a scooter has quite a few advantages over a bike, mostly concerned with weather protection and luggage space. Not having to fart around with chains helps too.

A 250, however, I can see doing well, even without a 250 learner restriction. A 250 has enough size and enough go to be a useful motorcycle even if you're not forced to ride one by law.

In the UK, the bottom fell out of the 250 market when the 125 learner law came in. However it picked up again a few years later when people realised that, for a fun, cheap to run commuter or as a first post licence bike in a land of expensive fuel and extortionate insurance premiums, a 250 is pretty damn near ideal. Small and light enough to zip through gridlock but capable enough to do the odd country trip with a reasonable degree of comfort and enjoyment.

If Megelli were to bring in 250s, that would be a whole different story from the 125s, LAMS notwithstanding. Besides, WA ain't going LAMS in the forseeable future so there'll still be at least one captive market.

Edit: OK, I've just looked at the past year's sales figures in Just Bikes and it appears that the CBR125 is selling very well indeed, outdoing Honda's 250 learner offering (CBF) by a substantial margin. Only the 250 Kwak seems to have beaten it in the learner market.

However I do maintain that buying a modestly priced 125 from the household name of Honda, with all that the name represents*, is a rather different proposition from buying a cheap one from a company you've never heard of.

Then again, not so very long ago no-one had heard of V-Moto either and they seem to have done OK.

*To me, the name represents badly designed, overpriced but shiny rubbish, made from crappy, cheap materials and with telephone number spares prices, but others seem to think differently :wink: .
  18. There is a little thing right in the front of what I assume is the current AMCN mag, and it says we should be getting the 250 versions, just the faired and the naked atm not the motard one. And they should be under $5k + on roads.

Which when you are thinking about spending about that money on a 3yo 250, or get a brand new one for the same, which in my opinion looks better than anything else that is a 3yo 250 (bar a VTR). They probably should do ok.
  19. they would certainly have a better chance at 250 cc, thought I think they'd have to do better than $5000 ride away. $4k might do it.

At $5k+ on roads you are not that far from a VTR250 and the GS500. the extra money will be worth the investment in most peoples minds.