Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Media Plagiarise Forum Posts to Create "News"

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Seany, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Found this highly interesting. It seems now the age considers copy/pasting posts from internet forums is close enough to researching a story. How long before we see our posts printed in the paper along side calls for tighter restrictions?

(Didn't know if this should be here or Site Discussion. Mods, feel free to move it if you desire).
  2. Well, that's turnabout-fair play, isn't it? How many forum posts reference news reports :LOL:?
  3. correctly referenced there should be no problem, either way.
  4. Indeed, storm in a tea cup, I think. I know, I always credit sources if I quote from somewhere else.
  5. We all know posting on the internet means our words are out there for anyone to use. It's no surpise that this has happened at all. One wonders though if by telling our stories of adventure we might ultimately shoot ourselves in the foot if the media take it and run. How long before the beige patrol use these sort of stories to demand new laws to protect us from ourselves?
  6. along the same vein as reporting of "internet sensations" and the mention of facebook every other day as somehow being newsworthy.
  7. ...don't forget Twitter too... whatever that is. :?
  8. That's why we are supposed to reference the original source when we post news here.

Ftom the T&C's...

DO reference/credit an author or publication (by name or URL, as appropriate) whenever you source from or cut 'n' paste content