Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Media and the police

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by akaluke, Mar 27, 2012.

1. I was struck by a few comments in the newspaper article about an accident this morning:

The media have well and truly been roped into the 'speed is everything' mantra.

He can't estimate the speed but he knows it's in excess of 50km/h. He just did.

So the journo asks questions hoping for drag racing angle to add some color?

2. Who would drag race in a van, might as well use a mobility scooter.
  3. I highly doubt a Mercedes is going to be drag racing a van.. what a stupid comment to make, they were probably traveling at the same speed limit at best.

Plus it sounds like the taxi wasn't looking anyway..
  4. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Taxi should've given way to approaching traffic (I hate middle of the road parking in the city for this reason) and if the white van was at Warp 5 he is partially to blame as well.
  5. I read that as well and found the article pretty stupid. The van MAY have been driving above the posted speed limit, but the Taxi driver was at fault for not giving way in the first place. I can foresee something going along the lines of this..."if the van was travelling at a slower speed [assuming it speed was above posted limit], the accident may have been avoided or less severe"...but really, if the Taxi driver gave way, the whole thing wouldn't have happened.