Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by shady_knife, Jul 25, 2009.

1. if i take my bike to a mechanics shop because of an over-heating problem, they say they've fixed it, charge me for the replaced parts, labour ect and it hasn't fixed the problem, what should i say? and how should i say it?

2. Take it back and tell them the problem is still there...if they charge you for fixing it the second time, then tell them to shove it and fix it properly.

phong =P~
  3. Simple, just take it back, and say, "I brought the bike in for you to fix an overheating problem, I paid for repairs, but it's still overheating, can you please fix it?".

Obviously if the bike is overheating in winter, you need to get the problem fixed before summer comes along.

If you can rustle up a local, burly Netrider to go with you, that probably wouldn't hurt, either :LOL:.
  4. It's always good to remain overly polite about such things but keep records of everything. That way if it does end up in small claims then they have nothing to come back at you with - plus being nice usually gains you more information to use against them than otherwise.

Having said that - +1 to the above replies.
  5. as my dad used to say, you don't get much honey by kicking over the bee-hive
  6. Have you tried to politely ask a bee for honey? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  7. as hornet says, just take it back and politely calmly explain the problem is still there and could they have another look at it. Really there is no excuse if you have paid to have it repaired and it clearly isn't, but you should always give them a 2nd chance to rectify it before you have to ark up at them.
  8. It would be nice if we lived in such a perfect world. However we don't.

What may have happened is that when looking for the overheating problem, they discovered a faulty part (thermostat for instance). They replace the faulty thermostat, test the bike, all appears fixed, you get the bike back and it overheats again.

They look at the bike again and find that the waterpump or head gasket is also faulty. So more than one part was faulty and unfortunately you have to pay for this 2nd repair. It's not practical for them to test every other part of the cooling system when they have located and replaced a faulty part (they could but you wouldn't sit down for a long time after paying the bill).

It's not their fault and you won't get anywhere by 'kicking over the beehive' and assuming they are a pack of crooks who have robbed you.

It is also possible that the new part is faulty or that the workmanship is to blame, obviously they would be expected to rectify this at no charge to you.
  9. A Letter Of Demand works every time......

10. +1

What exactly did they do or replace?

11. lol.... bit early don't you think?
  12. A smile and a polite request, when successful, will result in far better service when someone wants to help you, rather than feels forced to help you.
  13. its well within your rights to ask for a breakdown of parts and labour, find out what happened.

how bout this..

"G'day mate, its still overheating can you take another look at it asap?
    and can you please give me a breakdown of the parts and labor of the last job and this on.

Thanks mate.

Then that way you appear nice and smart enough to want to know whats going on..

(plus if your nice they wont suspect you as the one driving past and breaking windows for over charging or scamming you)
  14. Too true guys ;)
    With some (and they are obvious from a mile away), they don't budge from any polite behaviour. In fact, the talk is cheap. Once a Letter Of Demand is presented...damn is there ever the fastest 180 you'll ever see !
    Not saying this is the correct or solution at present for shady_knife, but perhaps something to keep in mind if further difficulties are encountered.
    I'm sure it'll all work out mate, but like the guys have said, I can't agree more.. a person first needs to be given the benefit of a doubt...
  15. hyosung?
  16. Unfortunately overheating has multiple causes, many of which are correlated. It may be that your mechanic fixed something which needed fixing, but is not enough on its own to stop overheating.

For example, very often a problem which causes loss of coolant also causes an air bubble which on its own will cause overheating even after the first problem is fixed. Fortunately removing air bubbles from you cooling system is free.

A classic example is a blown head gasket. There might be a small problem, say a faulty thermostat, which causes overheating, which then causes a blown head gasket, which causes even more overheating. A mechanic will notice the head gasket first, fix it (and it needs to be fixed). but you still have an overheating engine. So you have to find the next most likely cause. Eventually you will be OK. I've had three blown head gaskets :-( all on commodore vl's .
  17. use the same philosophy as you would if you went to the doctor and he didnt fix you up on the first time.