Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mechanics Gloves

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by jd, Mar 6, 2008.

1. So hard to work out which forum to put this in.

The spanner night last night reminded me that I still hadn't got around to reviewing the mechanics gloves I bought recently. I looked at many of the offerings from the auto stores but most were simply too bulky (or designed more for appearances than function). So instead I tried the local safety supply store which recommended these:
    Apparently they're quite popular with professional mechanics and although their sort of disposable for the average person I reckon they should last a while.

Haven't used them much yet but they do certainly seem to work well. Although you lose a little feel they're thin enough to still be able to handle small components - and if the parts are oily/greasy the gloves actually make them easier to manipulate. They should also reduce the risk of getting cancer from the chemicals in fuel/oil, though I mainly bought them just so it's actually possible to work on the bike in winter.

Since I buy a lot of stuff from the safety place I was able to buy just a single pair for 5 bucks. Some places though may only sell them by the dozen - in which case it might be worth finding a few other Netriders to share. Also be a good opportunity to stock up on earplugs, cheap sunglasses, reflective vests, etc. (Netrider safety shop night perhaps?).
  2. Are they thin enough to still get a bit of claret flowing? It just wouldn't feel like an authentic mechanical experience anymore if there were no bleeding knuckles.
  3. :LOL: Yeah don't worry the back's just knitted sock material - so still plenty of opportunity for injury when a stubborn nut decides to let go all of a sudden.
  4. We supply our guys out in the workshop with Permatex blue disposable gloves they are like the ones paramedics wear. We have to supply them but none of them wear them. They all have the dirt bike style gloves for working on hot brakes and things though.
  5. I got a pair of those draggin kevlar gloves... not that i've used them for actual mechanical work, but they're about as think as a sock all over, but heat resistant and stuff...
  6. I use mechanics' gloves when working on my car and bike (because I'm too much of a pussy to get grease on my hands)... I'll have to check which brand they are.

They have a sort of a thin felt-like suede on the palm side and a heavy-duty cotton-lycra material on the back. Comfortable 'n prevents lacerations.

Sadly, because many of the nuts and bolts on my 21 year old car are stuck from old age, inevitably I get so pissed off that the gloves do literally come off and I end up getting lacerated and greasy hands ANYWAY. :p

All the same - I do swear by them. Just for helping prevent lacerations when working inside of engine bays and wheel wells, etc.
  7. *Coughpussiescough*

8. + eleventeen!
    do you guys wear an apron too? :p :p :p
  9. We supply disposable gloves (like the medics wear) as well, but in the last 10 years I've only ever seen one guy wear them.

The trouble is they are a pain to wear :(
  10. You ever tried working on a bike when it's only a few degrees above zero? :p
  11. yes, and in preparation for the work, i hit each digit with a hammer and punch myself in the face. that's how i get in the zone.
  12. always wanted to get a pair of good gloves.. workmate has some kingchrome heavy duty ones for working on hot vehicles.

most the time i just wear the white latex gloves when doing messy stuff like brakes or wheel bearings etc, makes it easier if i need to hop in a car n move it without the need to go wash my hands etc.

they also do pretty well when dropping hot oil at 8:15 Saturday morning.
  13. I've wondered about mechanic gloves....

When you've worked on heaps of greasy stuff, shouldn't the grease eventually soak through and your hands get greasy?

Does whatever you're handling also get greasy after you've used it on greasy objects?
  14. JD they are the exact same glove I use to handle wet treated pine all day, work a treat, highly recommend. :wink:
    You can get them individually from my safety shop here in Bacchus also.