Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mechanical novice requiring mentor

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jimmylimousine, Dec 28, 2007.

1. I am an L-plate rider, with little know-how of mechanics and simple bike maintenance procedures.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone near the western suburbs of Melbourne (St Albans) with a firm understanding of bikes in general or specific experience with FZR-250's could donate their time to help me better understand my bike.

You will be compensated with 6-pack of choice.

Please reply within thread if interested, thanks.

2. dood, fill out the rest of your profile, stop being lazy.

You can come along to the next spanner night that we orgy-nize
  3. Hi. Get yourself a service manual (eg Haynes) - that will tell you everything you're looking to know, from the service scheduals and what to do and how to do it, right up to a complete rebuild. Also, pick yourself up some generic motorcycle mechanics / maintenance books.

4. Go to a mechanic for big jobs, even brakes, don’t trust yourself if you don’t know much mechanically.

Just check oil level, brake level, coolant if LC and buy some chain spray lube, keep that chain clean and lubed.

Buy some WD40 and spray the cable connections brake, clutch throttle etc

Get a spark wrench and check plug for burning/oiling, if so replace with higher heat plug, the next number up.

Keep battery filled with water.

Keep air pressure in tyres at around 32 psi

Thats all, good luck