Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mechanical advice please. Its a car

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Avoidable, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

My girlfriends car has developed an issue. It starts but the rpm slowly drops until it stalls. It can be kept up with the throttle.

We've ID'd that it is running rich and missing when it begins to drop engine speed and have removed and cleaned the distributor and leads.

We weren't able to take all the plugs out but the one we removed was fouled pretty bad with carbon.

The missus noted that they changed the air filter last service and said that the filter looks different. It may have been replaced with stock.

I think we might need to replace the filter after the plugs to a less restrictive filter to lean out the mixture a bit. However I don't know much about engines.

Any opinions would be awesome!!

Cheers.

2. A good starting point if you want useful information would be to tell us the make and model (and even the year) of the vehicle.

Also, standard or modified?

3. ...and also what sort of engine after you've given us the ID of the car. If you're unsure of the engine type, have a look at the compliance plates on the firewall. There's either an engine ID number or an engine "family" reference, depending on the manufac.

4. if u know nothing about engines then take it to a mechanic before u make it worse