Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

mechanic course?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by roundabout, May 18, 2005.

1. anyone know of a motorcycle mechanics course offered in melbourne? i don't want to become an actual mechanic, just want to be able to repair more stuff on my bike. am also getting ready for a big trip and want to be prepared for whatever may happen.

have looked at tafe, as that kind of course would be ideal, they don't seem to be offereing anything.

any suggestions?
  2. Also wondering if anyone has details on mechanic courses in Sydney. The zen of motorcycle maintenance type stuff... I just wanna know how to do the basics, and get a fundamental understanding of how the engine works.
  3. thanks pete, will have a look at that tonight,
  4. Did you see what's he wrote!?
    :? Not that I have any issues with my ultra-hardcore catholic upbringing... :twisted: wtf has it got to do with understanding a carburettor?
  5. hahaha flashfire... true ;p
  6. Okay, I hadn't seen the God references on the site till after I posted the recommendation. He actually has the whole bible on there under "The Ultimate Shop Manual".

Far be it from to discriminate on account of religious preference, he COULD still know what he's talking about...
  7. I've attended a short course 3-4 weeks at Holmesglen TAFE and I believe there is or was something over 10 weeks at Kangan Batman TAFE Richmond.
  8. I recall after doing the Holmesglen course that the mechanic/lecturer suggested that if we were interested in pursuing the material in greater detail a course in "small engines" would be helpful.

9. thanks G will look into both of those
  10. I think also one of those home-eduacation colleges does a course, Stotts or something like that I think (but I've got the feeling that's a full-on mechs course and for considerable dough outlay)