Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Me tools have gone rusty...

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by cejay, Apr 22, 2009.

1. OK, since we moved to Cairns, I've noticed a lot of my tools have gone rusty. As much as I think they deserve their own de-humidifier and 'damp rid' crystals, it ain't going to happen. Any tips from others who live in high humidity climates?

2. What sort of tools are they?
    Garden or automotive?

3. Automotive. Just a few things, anything that's not stainless how has surface rust.

4. Lightly oil them.

5. yeh those silica gel packets arent to hard to get hold of

6. mmm, buy lots of new shoes. take silica packets out. dispose of shoes.

you're set! :grin:

7. Time to go back to the old ways ........ oil 'em - or even lightly grease 'em.

8. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-SILICA-GEL-DESICCANT-5g-x-10-TYVEK-PACK_W0QQitemZ280334552450QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item280334552450&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

just buy a whole heap :p

phong =P~

EDIT: even better... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/100g-SilicaGel-desiccant-multiple-usage-all-sizes-avail_W0QQitemZ390044646771QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Wholesale_Lots_Computers?hash=item390044646771&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

9. #9 atropos, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  10. I do that and put the packets in my tackle box to prevent hooks etc rusting. It should work for tools as well. A bit of light oil will help but could make the handles a little slippery. :)

11. Lizzy has risen to the challenge and will be procuring new shoes soon.

12.  Top
  13. If you keep your tool well lubed this would not be happening, more frequent use would help as well.

14. mate, set aside a cupboard for the tools, make sure the door has a nice tight seal and install a 40watt light in the cupboard and leave it on.....

15. Tools...., not chickens. :wink:

16. this;

horny-goat-weed.

and or this;

[​IMG]

:grin:

17. When I was in the copier business we used to sell cupboards just like this, for paper. Either way, the heat keeps the humidity and moisture at bay.....

18. best thing to use is WD 40 or something similar.
    spray and wipe every thing.
    used this while I was working in Cairns and it was the only thing that worked.
    It will also repair and remove most of the rust on the tools.
    Good chrome can help I had fewer issuse with snap on and stahlwille that id did cheaper brands.
    shifters and pliers will be the first to rust.

19. have used a thin layer of silicon paste or oil on them, seemed to work ok in Darwin. I agree with the WD40 idea too

:grin:

20. I hear that uncooked rice can be a moisture absorber. Can you confirm that theory?