Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

mc rider hits a wood shipping pallet

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by twainharte, Jan 27, 2007.

1. he writes:

01-26-2007 04:42 PM

"...I'm okay but the bike's a little tweaked. I was riding over a bridge on the freeway, the SUV in front of me changed lanes, there was a car to my right, no shoulder on my left, a pallet in front of me & not enough room to stop, so I rode over, at minimum bending up my front rim. I hit it at about 60?, felt like it launched me a foot , I didn't crash, got it to the end of the bridge & pulled off the road.

Here's where I was. You can see wood splinters in the road, and the pallet on the left.

The pallet.
  2. [​IMG]

A bruised rim. The dealer said a replacement would run $800-$900

Ken, the tower, who was nice enough to work late to give me a tow. Thanks man.

So, I'm okay, the dealer will be checking the frame this morning, I'm a little worried about the front end, and after I get an estimate will decide if I want to pay out of pocket or bring my insurance into the mix. I feel kind of like BMW's duolever design might have saved me. I think standard forks would have likely bent until the tire struck the frame, locking the wheel & putting me over the bars, so I guess I got lucky..."
  3. At the end he says he was lucky :? ...if he was lucky he wouldn't have hit it!
  4. do the road laws in the US? not have some kind of cover for an event like this. sure as hell that dude shouldn't be out of pocket for that.