Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Maybe a new career

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Jym, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hey all,

Having moved out to the country after quitting my job, I'm considering a new career.
    I was thinking about becoming a motorcycle mechanic.
    I'm still young and could do another apprenticeship but I would struggle on the income.
    I was just wondering if we have any qualified mechanics lurking around? I'd be interested in knowing what the average qualified salary would be.
    I'm not looking to get rich, but it would be nice to have a career that would mean my missus wouldn't have to work as well.
    Also - as interested as I am in mechanical work, I currently know nil. I wonder if it would be a hindrance to my chances of becoming an apprentice. I'm a quick learner, but simply lack the tools (and without a job) the funds to undertake any attempts. I still have my old cbr mc19 which is sitting in storage as its not running.
    Probably needs plugs and a starter motor.
    So I've got something to practice on.

Anyone got any inside advice? Would beach appreciated.

2. My advice is don't do it. The bike industry in Oz is pretty crap. Wages run around the $40,000 a year mark if your lucky and there ain't much in the way of career path either. Go to Uni then get a real job and pay others to fix your bike for you.
  3. E2W is quite right in what he said above.
    If you want to save some coin and start to get mechanically inclined then start by doing the basics on your bike - oil/fluid changes, change brakes pads, spark plugs etc.......at least you will start to get the feeling for doing minor work on your bike and if it is too much then you know it's not for you.
    Doing work on the bike yourself will also save your wallet from pouring out $ on simple work into someone else's hands.

4. +1

Mechanics are known to be one of the least paid trades. Carpenters and Plumbers will usually make between 60k - 80k. Electricians will make 75k - 120k.

Uni is not a bad option, you could also do a tafe course/diploma which might help you land a decent job.

What about a sales role? Selling cars, bikes, farm and agricultural equipment?

Did you know that the agricultural market is where Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki make the majority of their money in Australia?

I would say that a sales guy in the showroom makes more than the mechanics in the workshop in better conditions.
  5. Diesel mechanic might be a better job. Heaps of mining and agricultural work. What was your first apprenticeship?
  6. If you aren't worried about a smaller income and prepared to live and breathe bikes I'd go for it. People who go into that area of work don't do it for the money.
  7. Thanks for the info. I think I best not head down that road.
    I was hoping it would supply enough to feed a family, my missus doesn't work so it's not a good idea.

My other apprenticeship was commercial cookery, so I'm a chef, but that whole industry hasnt recovered from the tourism collapse as brought on by the global financial crisis.
    That and every head chef I've worked for has been a prick. I thought about opening my own restaurant. It'd do well out here, but I don't have the cash.

NAB is looking for trainees just up the street. Put in for that. Money will suck initially, but you can't really go wrong with a big bank, right?

Ah well see how I go.

Cheers for the insight everyone.
  8. Country? Pfft!

Mind you, there are plenty of professions that require pretty decent (and multiple) university qualifications and then pay that much anyway. But they're the ones that people usually do out of a passion for the vocation rather than with an eye to a comfy career. People are usually quite shocked when they comment that I must make very good money and then I state how much it actually is. Lilley is right.
    It's a matter of your priorities and preferred compromises between passion and income.
  9. A car mechanic would earn a bit more and find work more easily, consider that maybe?

A lot of my friends are chefs and looking to move on, long hours and crap pay for the effort you put into it...
  10. Mechanical engineer mate, 4 years of your life and endless possibilities. I'm in my 3rd year now and its very interesting stuff and not all that hard to get into as a mature age entry. Money will be horrible while at uni, i work 2 jobs when i can and still only get around $25,000 a year :-(
  11. If you want big money for chef work then as said above head out west, if your really keen to open your own place then i would say its a good idea to go out to a mine, work for a few years and save save save then head home and open up shop.

Would be a shit few years being that far from home no doubt, but lifes tough.
  12. half the guys i go to tafe with are mechanics, who got bored/tired of the crap pay and job. so swapped for parts interpreting....

though the pay isnt much better](*,)
  13. I'm looking for a new career option. I'd really rather not go back into cooking, simply for the shit it does to your mind and body.
    I considered going over to the mines and we discussed it, even though the money is there I just couldn't be away. My missus is struggling mentally at the moment and I'd rather not leave her home along for days on end.

It's frustrating but in my current situation I think I'll just have to take what I can get.

Maybe go drive a forklift on night shift for the extra penalties but at least I'll be home at the end of the day.
  14. All I do is read through this thread and -sigh-

I'm getting into the film animation industry, travel a lot with decent pay (nobody asked).

More on topic, I see being a mechanic as more of a thing for people who really enjoy doing that sort of work but never became a full engineer. Personally, I looked at paths in engineering, lot of the stuff is same as mechanic though bigger scale, that is, the practical side of it. The theory is what put me off.
  15. If your interested in mechanics but believe the pays not for you and engineering will be too "full on" then perhaps a technician is more your thing, sort of half way between the 2. You won't be recognized as a professional engineer but you will be more qualified then a mechanic.

Some engineering courses have an optional "early quit" where you can graduate as a technician and still go back later if need be to become a professional engineer.

But university/schooling isn't for everybody is it...

Edit, don't believe an engineer is just over paid mechanic but larger scale, a professional engineer is a lot more. i wish they would standardize the word "engineer" like a doctor as there is too much confusion as to what an engineer is.

my 2 cents again
  16. Yeah you better be dam good at maths if you want to be an engineer, i know 4 of my mates started engineering at uni, all 4 of them dropped out during sem 1 because of how intense it was. These guys weren't dumb either, all 4 went to sydney grammar and did well in HSC etc, apparently shit is intense.
  17. I know of someone who does paintless dent removals. Business is hot, what with the hail storms and all, and annual income is nearing the $300k mark this year. I'd hate the job myself, but just saying. ;)
  18. +1 yes the maths is intense but i don't mind it, hence why i think a technician qualification might be better suited if that's what he is interested in.

As for that paintless dent repair they have popped up everywhere around here!
  19. funny thing is i know a mate who did a double degree,
    medicine and engineering,

dropped out of medicine as it bored him.
    then later dropped out (may have deffered) of engineering to join the army reserves. havent heard if he ever went back. but he enjoys the military
    he was coping well and getting distinctioins etc... i just believe he burnt himself out from all the study.
    a gap year should be mandatory for these subjects. i reckon it would significantly reduce drop-outs