Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW [May 22, 2016] The Six Ferry Ride (Concord, NSW)

Discussion in 'NSW' started by GeorgeO, Apr 18, 2016.

The Six Ferry Ride
Start Date: May 22, 2016 09:00
End Date: May 22, 2016 15:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 AEST

Frasers Motorcycles
153 Parramatta Road
Concord, NSW 2137

Posted By: GeorgeO

Confirmed Attendees: 18
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. #1 GeorgeO, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    So we attempted the 5 ferry ride last year but could not get past the second ferry due to some of the worst storms nsw had seen wreaking havoc and causing some mayor flooding.

So let's try this again and Go for Gold - Six Ferry rides on one day.

9:30 for a 10:00 departure

Meet point:

Fraser Motorcycles Sydney
    153 Parramatta Road

Frasers to Mortlake Ferry, Berowra Waters Ferry, on to Wisemans.
    Two options to meet at St Albans
    Option 1: Cross Wisemans Ferry, follow Settlers Rd to St Albans (6km hard packed dirt road)
    Option 2: Cross Webbs Creek Ferry and ride to St Albans
    Lunch at Settlers Arms St Albans
    Return to Wisemans via Webbs Creek , follow River Rd to Portland ferry crossing, ride on to Sackville ferry and then through Pitt Town to McGraths Hill McD.

All in 199km (give or take) or about 5 hours of fun.

Detailed map with more waypoints

Section 1: Frasers Wisemans Ferry https://goo.gl/maps/ifF6takLsfT2

Section 2 OPTION 1: Dirt Road to St Albans https://goo.gl/maps/VaV2FUoLJap

Section 2 OPTION 2: Tar Road to St Albans https://goo.gl/maps/2i7LyAZZqSA2

Also attached are three .gpx format files for those with GPS goodies and toys.

Ride will be P friendly but you need to be able to do sign posted speeds and be used to riding through town unsupervised.

DrSleepyDrSleepy, 69SIM69SIM, SibiSibi, Senator17Senator17, GigittGigitt, Andrew WestAndrew West , The Dirty BubbleThe Dirty Bubble , AllllllR1AllllllR1 , KimiKimi, StralsStrals, Wallace_GromitWallace_Gromit , WombleWomble , RuckusRuckus , chilliman64chilliman64 , wideone3wideone3 , bastianbastian , icemakericemaker , hornethornet , InfiniteInfinite, lilhoglilhog , SoyajamSoyajam

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Damn!
    Would love to do more NR rides... by far the best group of peeps there are :D
    But i will be in europe for 5 weeks :whistle:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cancell your trip?
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. The Oxley beckons that weekend, sorry George.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. #5 AllllllR1, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Starting from Frasers!? I was planning to test ride a 1299 :rolleyes: .... I'm sure they won't mind if I'm four and a half hours late!!
    • Like Like x 3
  6. ooh ooh ooh - NR ride #2 - would love to be a part of this provided work or the chillibabe don't have other plans for me - at this stage I'm all-in

thanks for the invite GeorgeOGeorgeO - I'd love to see that beautiful bike of yours again and catch the aroma of the freshly ground coffee-bean-scented exhaust fumes

and I suppose it would be nice to catch up with all the nice people of NR again!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. #7 Snapey, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
    Bicentenary Rd is an interesting choice. When was it sealed?

If you like a bit of dirt this was the route I used on my last six ferry ride. Nowhere near as much dirt as Bicentenary Rd & I'll bet very few of you have ridden Laughtondale Gully Rd. A coffee & a look around Frazers showroom was a good way to finish the ride.
    Five ferries - A motorcycle ride in Blacktown, New South Wales
  8. Thanks for the info, I'll investigate your route and options tomorrow.
  9. Count me in and if you need assistance with corner marking or TEC, I'm happy to help out.
  10. Thanks.

Quick question - on the last 5 ferry attempt - in what condition was Bicentenary Rd? As far as I can remember not that bad - some sections where worked on with odd patches of untarred inbetween?

It;s the section after Webbs Creek crossing heading down to lower portville
  11. We did a ride north of webs creek and turn left 50 m past the ferry a couple of months back, and ended up on one serious bit of dirt,very very steep down hill with crawling speed hairpins, think Galston only way way harder. I asked my Adventure Riding mates and its called Greens Lane or Rd. Definitely NOT L plate friendly. I have done a lot of riding out there but this was my first time on this particular section. I have done a lot of off road riding on suitable bikes, this was taken on my road bike, 1st gear weight right back at dead slow like a trails section. I have been out there before,crossed The bridge to nowhere and had not been down this bit, there must be another route that misses this bit so take care where you end up.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Which sections are dirt on your route?

As far as I see, it's only Settlers Rd (section coming back from St Albans to Wisemans) and Laughtondale?

I like your route way more.
  13. I just had a look at Google maps, we must have done this down hill bit in the past but I dont remember it. I goes past Wheelbarrow Ridge Rd which ends at The Putty Rd and we went up this for a bit and came back and it ends at The Bridge to Nowhere which we crossed.Its a Adventure Bike paradise out there. Stunning country next to The Hawkesbury River. So in summary, the North side of the river has some not so easy dirt bits, the south side also has some dirt but its a lot easier with no steep bits. Just a few corrugated hairpins.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Hi, should be around that weekend, if so I'll tag along :)
  15. you mean we gotta ride on dirt? :poop:
  16. The dirt sections are as follows ... River Rd about 600 metres, Settlers Rd 9.8kms of smooth gravel & Laughtondale Gully Rd is 4.8kms but is rough in places. There are a couple of tricky hairpins, is narrow with some pot holes but is hard packed & because you're going up hill shouldn't cause too many dramas. I gave my group the option of staying on the main road and re-grouping where the dirt meets the tar but all went the dirt road. Something to consider if you've got learners
    Another option you have for those wanting to avoid the dirt would be to ride to St Albans with the group then go back to Webbs Creek & cross on the ferry again then cross on the Wisemans ferry to meet the group who did the dirt road. That way they'll be doing an 8 ferry ride.
  17. I'm all for avoiding dirt, I hate dirt, unless I'm on a trail bike. I won't be on a trail bike for this ride.
    • Agree Agree x 2

18. Never fear......final route not yet decided.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. As if the MV is ever going to see a dirt road!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. I am up for tagging along, but will have to stick to tarmac.