Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Maximum Power

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by Cruisin Nurse, Dec 29, 2015.

1. I am looking at buying a cruiser and the Kawasaki VN900 custom specs say it has 37Kws at maximum power. Is that good? If not What should I be expecting for a bike in the range above 800cc ??

2. That's like asking how long a piece of string is. My LAMS CB400 puts out 38kw, so the 800's not putting out 'heaps'

Ride it, and see if you like it. If its air cooled, they tend to put out a fair bit less kw/cc than water cooled bikes. Often though they have plenty of torque.

Edit: Compared to the FZ1 your on now, it will feel super slow I would think? FZ1 puts out maybe 80-100kw.

3. So do you want higher Kws or high torque?
    Or both?
    I have noticed most new bike specs don't show Kws.

4. U should be able to find a bikes kW output online. And 37kws is not a lot. But it is an air cooled low comp motor. My 1250 cc night rod has 100kws. There are 900cc sports bikes around making maybe 120kws ish

5. You want a balance of both. Torque gets you moving, but power keeps you going (trying to find an analogy that works).. Power= Torque x RPM.

Again, best not to really worry about numbers, but see if the bike 'feels' OK. But it will be well down on your FZ1

6. Generally speaking the engines with higher kws expect higher revs while the higher torque engines support riding at lower revs. Though some of the higher kw engines won't be too bad at high torque as well.

But for cruisers there's an expectation that you're cruising, not racing. You're not expected to spend much time riding around near redline revs. It's more about the vibe than the performance. So on this sort of bike you may also find the makers are less forthcoming with power figures and sometimes even torque - not sure if Harley publish outputs these days

7. Sounds low but ride and see, maybe torque is relatively higher 80-100Nm plus?

8. about 80Nm, but at 3500rpm

9. Apparently the Kawasaki has Max power =37Kws and Max Torque at 78 N?m {8.0 kgf?m} / 3,700 rpm

Maybe I need to check other bikes expanding my cc range as well to see the differences.
    Thank you everyone for explaining this bike mubo jumbo for me....lol

10. Apparently the Max power for the Vulcan 900cc is 37Kws
    The MR torque is 78 N?m {8.0 kgf?m} / 3,700 rpm

11. #11 Petesul, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Check out this website for specs:
    Motorcycle Specification
    I prefer more torque at lower revs, so it's really personal preference. Stever42Stever42 has a 1100? Cruiser, I have an 800 quasi sports bike, both put out similar numbers (from recollection), but my bike is 50kg lighter, so our bikes will perform differently, again personal preference.
    Cruisers look cool.

12. Depends on what your looking for too, a cruiser for a bit of comfort on long trips or a sports bike for hammering the hills, I can do 7-800 km on my cruiser easily but a bit of a handful in the mountains, 150 km on a sporty pulls me up (poor old bugger) both have plenty of power, horses for courses, why not both (y) cruisers are not speed demons, take a few for a spin

13. Given you currently ride an FZ1S you will find the VN900 grossly underpowered, but it may make up for it with lashings of torque.

If you are comparing specs on bikes makes sure you also note where the max power and torque is made and how what the power and torque curves look like. Basically for most street riding scenarios you want good amount of power and torque in the mid range because lets face it that's where you'll spend most of your time.

Of course this all means absolutely nothing if you don't like the bike after riding it. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the specifications and just test ride it and if you like it, buy it, If you don't like it, don't buy it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Cruiser
    Large capacity V twin, slow revving, lots of torque, not so much power.
    Easy relaxed riding, twist the throttle in high gears from highway speeds and off it thunders on a wave of torque.
    Truck type operation, pulling hard at low revs with little fuss.

Sportsbike
    Medium/Large capacity inline four, high revving, not so much torque at low to medium revs, lots of power at high revs.
    More demanding riding, knock it back a gear or three and twist the throttle from highway speeds and off it screams on a wave of horsepower.
    Sports car type operation, lots of gear changing and plenty of revs to make rapid progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Addendum:
    Power as in, horsepower or kilowatts is basically the torque being produced over time, the rate at which work is done.
    Torque as in, foot/pounds or newton/metres is basically the twisting force that the engine can create.

Torque is that push in the back a V8 gives away from the traffic lights.
    Power is that top end rush on your FZ1 from 6000 rpm onward.

16. Or you could put it as - lack of power is the less than overwhelming feeling as you climb your rev range*.

*aware of different max rpm power range, but some bikes/cars do have that "out of puff" feel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Torque moves mass horsepower sustains momentum.

18. shouldn't forget gearing...
    at the same road speed, two different bikes (or cars, or tanks, or tractors) with same kW at that road speed will have the same rear wheel force applied to the road, regardless of what engine is making that same power.

if the VN900 was geared to do 350km/hr, 37kw will suck
    but if it was geared to do 150, much more capable, (would be similar to a bike with twice the power and geared to double the speed)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I heard somewhere that horsepower will bust you a neat hole through the wall, but torque will enable you to push it over and take it with you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Numbers can be helpful, but it's all about the feel...

I've spent 2 years driving a 3 tonne diesel ute, producing around 150kw / 450nm.
    Now I'm in a 1 tonne hatchback, with around 65kw, 140nm.

The hatch feels faster. So, there's a quick car analogy for you.

Ride them and see for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1