Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'Mature' newbie - and learning!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Uschi, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Hi all! At almost 60 I accidentally got my licence (just to keep hubby company while he was getting his), went out and bought a Suzuki TU250 and took to the road. The first few rides on my own were scary, especially when a truck kept following me, but after riding to work for the last few weeks I'm getting more confident. Lucky for me we live in a rural area and so I can practise without too much traffic. This is almost as much fun as horse riding! Found this site and lots of good advice, it looks like a great way to be part of the motorbike community. Anyone here on the Fraser coast?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome. Good you have decided to get riding while you are still young :) I envy you the traffic free roads though.
  3. welcome aboard
  4. Welcome Uschi :)
  5. Welcome to NR. The TU 250's are a good bike.
  6. Welcome to NR...
  7. Thank you! :]
    I have already (re)learnt something from here. Read the Cornering post last night and my instructors words came back to me - and this morning I put the look ahead into practice and my corners were so much better.
    Great site - thanks people!
  8. Ah well, as we get older we naturally become more cautious and restrict our exposure to less risky* forms of activity. Hence taking up motorcycling. :playful:

Welcome aboard. :):)

*Motorcycling IS less risky than horseriding, been shown in injury stats multiple times.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Lol, seeing I never got seriously hurt in many years of horse riding (did I just tempt fate?) I should be ok on the wheels, shouldn't I?
  10. +1.
    Even though some horse-riding enthusiasts will dispute this fact till the bitter end :) I work in a hospital and personally would trust a bike rather than a horse!
    Hi Uschi and welcome, great to see that you happily combine both, and I hope you'll love riding you bike as much as your horses.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Wont start a discussion here on the merits and otherwise of another brain in the mix - thanks for the welcome :cat:
  12. Welcome and keep enjoying the TU250. Cool bike!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Welcome to the forum!
  14. Hello, from Brusbane. I know how you feel I recently got my license at around the same age. Bought myself a Kawasaki Ninja 300. Was very nervous going out on my own and still am a bit. I live in a busy part of Brisbane 1k from the CBD so very time I go out I'm in traffic. I'm doing this all on my own. Liked reading your story!
  15. Howdy, Welcome to NR!
  16. Hi Bill, nice to hear from you. I have been riding almost daily since then and feel so much more confident. Still hate it though when trucks or cars follow too closely. I wouldn't want to ride in Brissie, don't even like driving the car down there :). Keep it up, it's great fun!