Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

mattb's 'new' Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by mattb, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I intend to write a proper review of this bike in a week or two, but in the meantime: today I picked up my 2005, 23,000km Kwaka W650.

I've been a bit 'light on' with my riding this year, but this bike has a 3 month 5000km warranty, and I intend to use it.

Thanks to Patb for sharing his thoughts with me over some PMs. I started out with a choice between this, a HD Sportster, and a modern Bonneville. The W knocked the Bonnie aside easily, and in the end while I think the HD has the better engine yet as a total bike I found the W is closer to the sort of motorcycle that fires my imagination. Just. Hopefully it'll be a long-term keeper, alongside my Yamaha SR500 (-I am every inner-city trendy's dream!).

Here's one of the more interesting comparison-reviews that I've come across. http://contemplativemotorcycling.blogspot.com/2011/11/bonnie-and-pretenders.html

• Like Like x 1
  2. what a pretty bike!!

I wish you both a long, happy life together....
  3. looks nice matt, congrats on the bike :)
  4. nice work matt hope you enjoy it!
  5. permission to say pimping, sir.
  6. watch out the fonz is in the house haha nice bike
  7. I was just thinking thats a rather retro looking bike. Very nice.
  8. #8 JayC, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Nice bike Matt, congrats and enjoy
  9. Looking good MattB! (y)
  10. i have always liked the W, good luck and have fun
  11. Nice looking bike!

Now, you are going to wash this damn bike Matt. I'm going to come around on a regular basis and force you to!
  12. Congratulations. Nothing quite beats the excitement of picking up a new (to you) bike :D.

I would tend to agree but I would qualify that by defining "better" as meaning "feeling like a proper motorcycle should", because in pretty much every objective way, the Kwak engine outperforms the Sporty by a substantial margin. The only areas where the H-D scores are low end torque (helped by its extra cubes) and availability of expertise and aftermarket support.

Having said that, given the same choice, I'd have gone the H-D, for reasons discussed in my PMs, but all that means is that my irrational grounds for choosing a motorcycle are different from your irrational grounds for choosing a motorcycle. But that's OK because choosing any motorcycle is a fundamentally irrational thing to do :D.
  13. your last sentence deserves to be in someone's sig, Pat :)
  14. 7p
  15. I like the bike and look forward to your review.
  16. Mattb hasn't been seen in these parts for some time. I wouldn't wait around.
    Go introduce yourself in the welcome lounge though.