Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mate had a crash- investigating writeoff status

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by tomm, Mar 19, 2008.

1. First of all, sorry mods if this is in the wrong section.. the subject matter overlapped between forums so I thought this was the best place.

Hi everyone, a mate of mine, one post wonder and lurker Troy crashed his bike last night. The way I know the story is: At ~70km/h on a corner he hit some gravel and the front washed out. He ended up sliding and hitting the bike then him and the bike went their separate ways: him onto the shoulder/grass and the bike into a guard rail. Very glad it wasn't the other way round.

Considering the possibilities he came out very lucky, with a dislocated elbow and possible fracture and some bad road rash/small chunks missing in his knee. He was taken to hospital, arm relocated and his rash has been cleaned/patched up. Good to know that his gear did its job; he all kitted up.. unprotective jeans excluded. If anyone would like to send their wishes I'm sure he'd be stoked so feel free :)

Anyway, getting to the point. Him being under 25, comprehensive insurance was a rather unviable option from an economic standpoint, so he's only got 3rd party fire and theft. As you can imagine he'd be pretty down about losing his bike, especially when he still has a little bit to pay off on it!
    So i've made it my business to investigate the possibility of getting his baby back on the road, sussing out what is involved, if it's at all possible, parts, etc etc. Keeping in mind that the bike did hit a guard rail at some speed so I'm expecting rather messy and probably a bent frame. If anyone would like to send me a wave about anything related it would be much appreciated.

The point of the post however was to find out the details on 'unrepairable writeoffs'. I've done some internet and forum searching but I couldn't find any real facts, particularly for Queensland (is it different from state to state?). I remember hearing something about a bent frame automatically putting a bike into 'unrepairable' status, but I really don't know anything about it. What I would like to know is what the legislation is regarding repairs/roadworthiness to damaged bikes, and what it entails. If anyone would also like to put in their 2c about anything related such as hunting for parts on the cheap, alternative parts, or anything at all it would be much appreciated.

Thanks heaps,
  2. So it was a GS500? Anything bent is repairable, but the cost would be phenomenal.

Oh and...
  3. Cheers for the quick reply. And yes sorry it is a GS500e.

I havent seen the bike in person. I'm in Brissy and that was up Caboolture way so I'll try to check it out tomorrow if I can and suss it out. I'll try to grab some pics to show off the carnage.. I'm not sure what to expect yet, fingers crossed.

I can see what you mean by it being expensive. I was thinking along the lines of doing as much as I (and tradey mates :p) can do ourselves. As far as I'm concerned 'ratting it out' would be a cool way to go.. and would conveniently turn dents and ugliness into some 'character'.. parts-bin special :LOL: Of course this depends on if it is affordable, or if it is possible at all.
    I'm definately expecting it to be beat up, all 'consumables' (such as mirrors) needing repacing as well as headlight, bars, etc. Expecting needing new forks or if very lucky they could be repaired. Anyway time will tell so I will definately let everyone know when I know.
  4. If it doesn't go to an insurance company it's not classed as anything.

They're the ones that classify the bike.

Since he's not insured, nothing will happen.
  5. cops can also classify a bike a stat write of.
  6. No they can't.
    Only certified people can and cops are not trained to declare in writing a write off.