Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Master cylinders...

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by koma, Oct 23, 2006.

1. The plan is to fit some 'different' calipers to the front end of my FZR1000. Thankfully Yamaha are nice enough to use the same mounting points on the fork legs on the R1's right up until 2003 so i've got a set of calipers sorted, but now of course i'm on the hunt for the rest of the kit.

Now as i understand it i could quite easily just leave the FZR1000 master cylinder (5/8") there and it would work, but it would result in a rather wooden feel as the compression ratio is ~18:1. Obviously the best master cylinder to use would be an R1 MC which is a 14mm unit, but given i havent had much luck finding one at a reasonable price i've all but given up on that. A 14mm MC will result in a compression ratio of ~23:1 which is smack bang on perfect.
    So, anyone know any other bikes that use a 14mm master cylinder?
    I've been told that the Kawasaki ZZR250 uses a 14mm MC, but any others that would be a little more uprated for what i want to use it for? I know the Ducati 916's Brembo MC would be perfect, but again price and availability are major issues.

Secondly, anyone know a decent place in Melbourne to get braided lines made up to to fit? I'm really keeping this on the budget end of the spectrum so even second handers off an R1/R6 would be ok; as long as they resemble ADR. :grin:

Any other thoughts, suggestions, words of wisdom?
  2. Go to a wreckers and ask them what they've got. most master cylinders have their size marked on them. i'm not sure what my master cylinder is from (14mm nissin with remote resevoir - maybe VFR400 or NSR250? i do know that all the yamaha m/c's at the wrecker's were 5/8" (15.8mm) )

Out of interest, why do you think 23:1 is the ideal ratio? When i was playing around with my brakes, 27:1 was suggested, but i found i had to go to around 35.5:1 to get good brakes. bear in mind that i've got 18" wheels and dual 10.5" "old style" (non-floating, that is) discs.

i figure that the hydraulic ratio you use is going to depend on:

- wheel to disc ratio (mechanical advantage that works against braking)
    - frictional force (brake pad type, brake pad area)

but i never did get around to trying to figure any sort of rules or relations.

3. Just from the reading i had been doing about brake modifications for motorcycles seemed to pin point 23:1 as the ideal and anything out from that would either result in either a wooden feel or excessively stiff. Not to worry, i still havent got round to fitting the R1 calipers so i haven't found out if i need to change MC's or not yet.
    After speaking with a heap of people who work on brakes they've said that the 5/8" MC will still be fine and that a fair few manufacturers aside from Yamaha run identical bore & stroke calipers with a 5/8" MC.
  4. hey koma did you go to a riders discussion group in vermont recently? in december? i was at it and you had your 1000 there and you said you live in nth melb with r1 calipers on your 1000 ect
  5. Yep, that was me. :grin:
    Had the calipers fitted at that point, although now im on the look out for some new rotors; secretly stalking any Ducati with snowflake rotors. :twisted: