Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Martial Arts

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DenholmReynholm, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Just curious as to how many people here do/have done a martial art of some form?

I've been considering taking up capoeira, while I know it's the butt of a lot of jokes and not particularly useful in an actual fight, I'm more in it for a) The fitness and b) It looks like a lot of fun.

So what do you do?
  2. Just started Muay Thai. I've wanted to do something for years but never have. Atm it's mainly for the fitness and the defence aspect.

It's interesting how taking the step and showing up at the gym can have a deeper impact though. Since I became interested in Muay Thai I've started to eat differently (still by no means great, but a massive reduction in fast food for sure), I've done some exercise at home and I'm more confident at times when I wasn't before.

It's kind of like when I started riding: I finally did something I'd thought about for a long time, then I realised I can actually do it and that I actually enjoy doing it. It's great.
  3. systema is not as good as karate
  4. Karate's in lots of movies so it's probably the best one
  5. At this stage in it for fitness/flexibility and a bit of fun, not really for the everyday application in a street brawl etc.

If I was to go for something for self defence I'd probably go down the MCMAP/Systema/Krav Maga route though
  6. nice....i can actually do the youtube post crap now...no effort required or nothin' ! +10 points for new forum
  7. Bas Rutten has you covered:

8. Bas Rutten has you covered:

9. Best thing you can do is to go and try some of the various styles out there and see what suits you.
    Some Dojos are full of complete wankers where others will become your second family.

I've done a number of disciplines since I was a kid right up until about 3 years ago. The Melbourne Martial Arts Academy in Banana Alley offers Karate, Muay Thai, Kick Boxing, JuJitsu, MMA and use of their gym equipment for a good price and is open 6 days a week.

If you want to get the most out of your chosen martial art then look at a minimum 3 times a week with fitness classes on top of that.

Most of all - enjoy it !
  10. As what Mick said, try some various styles.
    I've been training at an MMA gym in Kensington for the last 10-11 months and I love it.
    I primarily joined just for the fitness aspect, but have found I really enjoy each of the styles they offer, and look forward to competing in BJJ.
    BJJ is the primary style run, but they also do Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, MMA and some Judo on the odd occasion.
    They also run two Fitness classes a week and have some gym equipment (not much, but enough) to use if wanting to.

At the end of the day, just enjoy it and be consistent at it, and the fitness side will come.
  11. When I was younger I did Jui Jitsu, Karate and Tae Kwon Do. Loved it, I regret stopping, but you know, balls drop and you become more interested in getting blown then getting beat up.
  12. Ask Johnny from the Cobra Kai what happened to him, when he came up against a bit of crane style.

But seriously, I got my green belt in karate when I was a teenager.
  13. Fitness wise boxing or Muay Thai is awesome.

I'd say Muay Thai is more fun.

Why don't you take up MMA and learn all forms of fighting?

You'll learn boxing, muay thai, wrestling and jiu jits su.
  14. I've always wanted to learn martial arts. Never really knew what though, always wanted to improve my self defence skills
  15. does toobefor count ?
  16. Guys. We do martial arts for many different reasons, some for fitness, some for fun, some for courage and some for self defence.

I just want to clarify something though for all newcomers to MAs - Don't confuse sport fighting with practical self defence. They're the similar but completely different at the same time.

MMA fighters are some of the best athletes on the planet, but what they do in no way resembles reality. Same with boxers, same with grapplers.

If you want sport fighting do these things. If you're going to be one on one always with someone around to break things up, do these things.

Imagine however that there were two attackers. What would you do then? Or you've had a bad day or you've had a couple of beers? Do you know how to control fear of the unknown assailant or more importantly, the assailants? Can you fight in the dark? Can you fight with an infant cradled in one arm? How about a knife or Takamii's twobyfour ;)

Real violence is just that. Real, and you can't prepare for it in the ring.

There is no preparation, no warning, no warmup and no referees. You'll be scared and full of adrenaline and will have to still be able to make rational decisions mid-fight to keep you alive or your loved ones alive.

Throw a knife in the Octagon and watch all the fancy movements disappear instantly as they try to survive...

So ask yourself before you start training, What do I want to get out of this?
  17. mostly just fitness, a bit of fun and endurance... did kickboxing for a while till i ran out of time in the mornings.. was good fun :)
  18. My macrame has gotten me out of a lot of trouble! It's hard to punch someone when they've knitted you a nice little Indian Dream Catcher on a pair of sticks!

BTW, what belt is it in Karate that they teach you to stomp on your unconscious victim's head? Or king hit them from behind? I's just asking cos that's wot a lot of 'real men' seem to be doing these days...?