Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Martial Arts - who has done/is doing/wants to do one?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by ad91on, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Looking for peoples experiences with different martial arts.

I've been given a gift of choosing one and having it paid for for a while. I just need to decide. Short of just googling "deadliest martial art", i thought i'd see if anyone had anything to add to this discussion.

Kudos.

Here is a picture which will hopefully inspire intelligent response:

Well, i was going to post an image of girls fighting, but, it's really hard to find a non-explicit one. So use your imagination.

2. Ran around doing some tae kwon do several years ago, got up to a 3rd stripe blue belt and got bored.
    Was good for physical fitness, actual use as a weapon i always found the technique felt lacking and far too rigid for being anything near the "deadliest martial art".

Have considered getting back into it something but i need to get myself back into shape and my spine sorted out :p.

Were the women in jelly/mud? If so my imagination is on the right track.

3. I guess it really depends on what you want to do (or not do) with what you've learnt. Personally I think judo is a great martial art and sport with an interesting historry and philosophy. Plus with most schools being part of the jfa there's lots of chances to compete on various levels and less chance of finding a 'mcdojo'.

ps: Forgot to mention that theres no punches or kicks in Judo. Only throws and various ground wrestling techniques.

Just beware of anyone that tries to sell you an 'ultimate self defense' or 'designed for the street' style. It's most likely to be bs. (coming from 15 years of combined training + teaching in various styles - not that it means anything online anyway)

4. Hi guys,

I've done a fair few over the years, never to any great level, Tae Kwon Do as a kid, this will teach you a vast array of kicks, speed, etc, good for fitness, however as others, i got bored, i'm not one who likes to sit and practice kata's (formalized sequence of movements - Karate term) and have them be graded. Yes they are good to memorize moves and actions that become instinct, but i just didn't enjoy it.

I also tried a unheard of martial art called Vo Vi Nam as a teenager (its a Vietnamese martial arts that is a hybrid and includes forms of wrestling, weaponry, punches ,kicks, etc etc - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vo_Vi_Nam)

A little more interesting but again it also has a form of kata. So after a while i got bored.

Then as a teen/young adult i trained Kick boxing, this i enjoyed most, as it kept me fit, whilst just concentrating on punch kick combos against pads and opponents (sparring) on the mats and in the ring. This appealed to me most and i enjoyed this the most. A good Kickboxing school will not only keep you fit, but also assist with self defense.

End of the day, anything you choose will depend on what you like and dislike, best to try to find one that interests you, because if the interest fades, so will motivation and you just wont attend.

Now having been out of it for almost 10 years, I'm thinking of going back and training kickboxing. Just need to allocate some time to it outside of work and family.

5. #5 bulby, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Did Tae Kwon Do back in secondary school. Ironically, had to stop due to knee injury from soccer.

Like others said. Most martial arts are good for keeping fit, but not much use for self defense. Unless you're a black belt or close to.

6. Thought of Ju-Jitsu?
    (Not BJJ thats glorified wrestling...)
    I took it up for fitness and have done a couple of years..
    It combines Judo locks and throws with some strikes kicks and blows.

7. Aikido is a good one. You learn to use others' energy against them with minimal effort from you.

Saves you getting to puffed out, so you can get back to watching cricket after you kick someones ass!

Watch some of Steven Seagal's earlier movies (before he got fat & boring!) & you'll see what I mean.

8. Depends on your personal goal, but I have only two words: Krav Maga

9. It may be hard to find but I did Hapkido for a while (Korean Martial Art). Heaps of good locks and disarming techniques. The wrist lock in particular is spectacularly effective.

10. I did Judo at competition level as a teenager. I have also done boxing, Kung Fu, and Muay Thai.

Which one has been more practical in real life situations? Probably Judo as most fights after a few seconds of swinging end up on the ground.

Muay Thai would be the next most practical as it uses fists, feet, knees, elblows, etc

The main thing is what do you want to do it for ? For fitness? Then join a boxing / kick boxing gym.
    To learn an art and compete? Do your research and look around for a Dojo with a good rep.
    Which ever one you choose always make sure you are also doing it for fun.
    Enjoy !

11. shockingly I briefly studied Ninpo (or Ninjitsu).

When I get some fitness back I will defo go back and revisit it. But then back in the uk I had a sensei who ran his dojo as student/master style. No belts. And there was all the spiritual/meditation side heavily practised.

Im no hippy but I did find it very peaceful, inbetween the kicking, punching & weapons lol

12. Thats the thing. You want a good one that has a lot of disarming techniques for the dickheads in the pub...knives, bottles, chairs etc.

Also, as Mick says, most fights these days end up on the ground and you want to control that.

BTW, when did head stomping become in vogue? In my day day, when someone was beaten that was it! Now you have these c*cksmokers that stomp & kick your head whilst you're knocked out!?!? Wow, that must make you feel like a real tuff guy huh?

Thats the only thing I don't like about UFC. They keep punching when the other guy is CLEARLY out to it! The bloody ref has to stand in between them!!

13. I train in Krav Maga (as well as Judo), and Krav is fantastic at disarming people. The first 3 modules we learned was Knife defense, Baton Defense, and Gun Defense.

Where I train, at VT1 in Chatswood has Krav, BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, and MMA.

The guys who own the place are young (late 20s) and regularly enter international tournaments.

Out of the lot though, i like Judo the most. Im a decent size guy, 100kg & 6 foot, this martial art just seems to be made for me. So satisfying getting a good throw on someone during sparring.

14. #14 Dougz, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    No mate, not aware of it.

15. I've been doing martial arts for around 2.5years so I'm still a beginner but here's my 2c.

BJJ: this is mostly ground fighting(no strikes) and focuses on getting good positions and submissions, it is very addictive, would be a good one to start with. I think BJJ is good if you want to train at your own pace. Some people train everyday, others only one or twice a week. I can only speak for where I train but it has a pretty relaxed atmosphere.

Muay Thai: Striking with hands, feet, elbows, knees, clinching. Would be great for fitness, sparing is a lot of fun. A much bigger commitment if you want to compete tho.

Wrestling: hard, hard work but heaps of fun as well. Might be a bit harder to find a place to train.

16. Best idea.
    Download the whole series' of Human Weapon, and Fight Quest. (Or youtube it)
    Gives you a brief overview of many different styles.
    Fight Quest is better.

17. Personally, I have a bias for Taekwondo, but then I am looking to grade up to an instructor shortly ;)

I think the most important thing, no matter which one you end up choosing, is to make sure you enjoy it. If you don’t, it becomes tedious and you’ll get bored

18. All martial arts are good. Remember that you only get out what you put in! So if and when you decide on a style, go often, train hard and dont give up no matter how hard the training gets.

Check out: Choy lay fut bucksing gwoon on youtube

19. I've never really gotten into it that much myself. I've been to a few introductory training sessions at a number of different arts. I signed up to do Karate for a while when my kids were little, because I wanted them to learn. The school told me after a few weeks that I had potential and was progressing well, but could I leave my kids at home? I've had some friends who are quite into it, and known some people who are very high up in it.

In most human endeavours, you can learn a lot of stuff that's useful, but you either have a natural instinct for the thing or you don't. There's a million useful skills to be learned in a business school, but at the end of the day, you either have the knack, the instinct, or you don't. I can teach pretty much anybody to ride a motorbike, but I can't make them a good rider. I can help them become one, but at the end of the day they either have that instinct in them or they don't.

Psychology departments at universities are packed with people who don't have a clue. They have signed up for the study of the human mind and personality because they don't understand themselves or anybody else. Some drop out. Some graduate. Some may even go on to practice. But either a person has empathy and understanding, and can put themselves in another's shoes or they can't.

Martial arts is a bit the same. Dojos and gyms are packed with people who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag and they know it. That's why they're there. Learning a formal system of fighting may be helpful to them. Certainly the physical training and the discipline and the spiritual aspects are likely to be a huge help. But you can't make a fighter out of somebody who just isn't one.

Look at motor racing. Look at Sebastion Vettel and Marco Simmonchelli. You can take someone who has the instinct, and teach him to not crash, but you can't take somebody safe and teach him to be fast. It's something you're born knowing, or never will know. You can teach people the facts. You can give them the information. You can train them in the techniques and obscure skills, but some people are born to write great poetry and some are not. Some are born to bring faces on canvas alive with oils and some are not. Some can bring a crowd to its feet with a few notes on a guitar and most never will.

20. Did Karate for years, got black belt. Would love to be that fit again LOL. Branched into weapons eg. Bushido, Archery, Staff, Nunchuks.
    Do whatever feels natural to you.